Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2k Grey Knights fail list and what I'm going to do about it v1.0

3 posters

Go down

2k Grey Knights fail list and what I'm going to do about it v1.0 Empty 2k Grey Knights fail list and what I'm going to do about it v1.0

Post  The Conduit Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:03 pm

I played this list in the 'underdog tournament' today and got tabled twice. First against Space Wolves, second against Chaos Marines. I did forget to acknowledge the rending psycannons for both games along with some other rules that would have helped, but I'm sure I would have been lucky to have not been tabled regardless. The list:

HQ
Draigo
Libby w/ Sanctuary, MoT, Shrouding, Warp Rift

Troops
Fully wound allocated 5-man Paladin squad w/ 2 psycannons, 2 halberds, 2 hammers, 1 sword
10-man SS w/ hammer on the justicar, 2 psycannons, rhino

Elite
Ven. Psyfleman

HS
Dreadknight w/ heavy incinerator, greatsword, teleporter

FA
10-man Interceptor squad w/ hammer on the justicar, 2 psycannons, psy-ammo
SR w/ TLMM and TLLC

Chris pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said I basically have "too many toys". Grey Knights have some pretty cool options, but trying to use more than just a couple in 1 army causes problems. The main "weakest link" of this list, after playing it a few times, is the Dreadknight. He can do a lot and is awesome, but he just isn't 260 points worth of awesome. If I were going to continue running him, I would have to run 2 to be effective. The psyfleman, although good, also doesn't quite perform as well as most would think he does. There really needs to be at least 2 of them as well, otherwise it's just not worth the points. The interceptors and stormraven both had issues with survivability, but this was more due to my lack of experience than anything else (and yes, I am well aware that most people don't like SR's because of their 12 armor), so I'm going to keep them for now. Paladins being troops is great, and Draigo helps out the unit a lot, but he just costs too much for the amount of offensive capability he adds to the table, so I think he would be better suited as a GM with at least rad and psychotroke grenades; the GM can make the paladins scoring if need be anyways. Also, the paldins died too often to S8 attacks, so they better survivability. The Libby is also awesome, but I think I'll drop him for 2 more Paladins with a BB and either falchions or a MC weapon. With these points in mind, v1.1 of the list:

HQ
GM w/ 3 skulls, rad and psychotroke grenades, MC warding staff, digital weapons, incinerator

Troops
10-man SS w/ hammer on the justicar, 2 psycannons, rhino
10-man SS w/ hammer on the justicar, 2 psycannons

Elite
7-man Paladin Squad w/:
---psycannon/halberd
---incinerator/halberd
---brotherhood banner/SB
---warding staff/SB
---halberd/SB
---hammer/SB
---MC halberd/SB

HS
LRC

FA
10-man Interceptor squad w/ hammer on the justicar, 2 psycannons, psy-ammo
SR w/ TLMM and TLLC

The Paladins also took too long to mow over squads they got into combat with, so the banner should help with that giving all of them +1A. They will go into the LRC with the GM. The strike squad without the rhino will deep strike, as will the stormraven (but usually not together). I may or may not deep strike the interceptors as well; it just depends. The new list also has 10 more models than the old one (from 30 to 40). C&C welcome.
The Conduit
The Conduit

Back to top Go down

2k Grey Knights fail list and what I'm going to do about it v1.0 Empty Re: 2k Grey Knights fail list and what I'm going to do about it v1.0

Post  grots life Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:15 am

My suggestion is to field what you want and see how it goes. Set some personal objectives for each game, such as having each unit inflict a wound or move to and hold an objective you choose, and see what works best for you. Maybe experiment with different tactics for moving around the battlefield. I see too many lists online that are geared towards winning tournaments, and not so much towards having fun. I think you'll be better off in the long run using trial and error to find what works best.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

2k Grey Knights fail list and what I'm going to do about it v1.0 Empty Re: 2k Grey Knights fail list and what I'm going to do about it v1.0

Post  The Conduit Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 am

Well I had played a grand total 5 games before the tournament, and I didn't lose any of them (2 draws). So I know I'm capable of winning. What you suggested is exactly what I did for the tournament. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but like you said, I should use trial and error. This revised list is simply step 2.

This list is also not at all some copy/paste list from some other online forum. It's a list that's based off of my current list. If I were making something more like one of those standard MSU lists it would look more like: GM, 3-4 GKSS in rhinos, 2 ven dreads, the rest of points spent on Paladins.
The Conduit
The Conduit

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26 pm

If you look at bolterandchainsword.com in the Ordos Inquisition secton you can find a good amount of army lists. I looked at a bunch and picked what I liked from them to make mine.
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  The Conduit Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:37 pm

I will definitely look over there. I don't think I'll be deviating too far from this current list for a while (although I'm sure it'll tweaked here and there), but reading other lists is always good for inspiration.
The Conduit
The Conduit

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 pm

A couple things I have noticed/ would suggest. IMHO you need at least 30 infanty models on the table to have staying power. 2 psycannons can fire from a rhino. Dreadknights are good with just a Heavy incinerator. The second list looks pretty good, except the interceptors. They are expensive and although fast, are relatively fragile. If you like using them, i suggest combat squading them, move into position on turn 1, and then shunt behind a tank or high value target and unload with the psycannon. I tried using this tactic, and while a sound tactic, the dice didnt like me enough to make it worth while. So I put mordrak in. He does the job very well Smile
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  The Conduit Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Well I feel relatively confident that the 37 infantry in the second list should be enough. The weakest link at that point is my personal skill. I really just to play more games for more trial and error. As for the interceptors, believe that I've thought about changing them for something, but I still feel like they are a viable option. If I just can't make them worth their points then I'll look back at the option of dropping them, but until I get more games in I'm going to see what I can do with them.

EDIT: The reason I'm wanting to stick with the generic GM is the grenades. I'm pretty sure those things will be amazing, especially considering that the BB adds +1A to my Paladins. So they'll have 4 attacks on the charge while reducing the number of attacks the enemy squad has by 1, along with whatever fun things the psychotroke grenades end up doing.
The Conduit
The Conduit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down