World of Darkness 40k

View previous topic View next topic Go down

World of Darkness 40k

Post  AllmightyDM on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm

So I looked at the 40k rpg books and they just seem overly burdensome on rules. Has anyone adapted the setting to use the New World of Darkness mechanics? Right now I'm digging through Nwod Core and the Armory/Re-loaded for equipment equivalents and other things to help me adapt the feel of the game.

My group has elected to be my human test subjects on an IG world infected with the zombie plague of doom and I'm doing some prep work. I noticed an interesting direct conversion between the codexes and the Nwod rules, its like they were meant to be used together.

Example:
An average stat on a human strength nwod is between 2 and 4. A regular IG guy, strength 3.
Statistics for base humans are limited between 1 and 5. Similar to Toughness scores.
Weapon skill of 4-7 in 40k is directly comparable to the Str + Weaponry stats from Nwod.

After I check out rules on equipment that has armor penetration and armors I'll have a better idea. But the possibilities are looking great! And you don't have to learn 300 pages of rules from deathwatch. Of course, I don't see any merits for eating raw metal, acid blood, or multiple hearts.... but we can improvise.
AllmightyDM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: World of Darkness 40k

Post  The Emperor Waffle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:27 am

Dark Heresy and Death Watch are not really that hard to learn. Most of the confusing aspect comes from positioning conditions. Lack of visualization would make it an issue.

The Emperor Waffle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Necron on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 am

A "Lack of visualization would make " most things a problem ...........
Necron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 am

We always use minis in our rpgs. And we have all this great terrain and minis! Almost ready for a test game.
AllmightyDM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:55 pm

I love that idea! Lemme know if you want player for that Smile
EmeraldWolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 pm

Depending on its reception I might be hosting for a hybrid gaming group. The theory is to make a game for base human, but to allow for things like Eldar, and Tau. As soon as I finish up working on psychic powers I'll be officially ready to go.

Like you said, if anyone is interested let me know. I'll probably run this for a group of about 6, probably no less.

The rules are going to be as simple as possible, with as few "custom" rules as possible. Right now I'm looking at directly using stuff out of codexes because it meshes so well.

For instance, a marine's power armor gives a + rating to defense for each point 6, 5, 4, 3... so its a +4 Defense. Weapons with AP value translate the same way, a boltgun str 4 ap 5 would give a +4 equipment bonus, with an ap of 2 (6... 5). I'm also looking into strength requirements for weapons.

Probably the biggest conversion I'll be doing is on healing items, mostly taken from another game where there are healing drugs that you can get addicted to.

Just as a for instance, I was thinking well the player's might want to blow up an Eldar War Walker or get shot at by its dual 6 s scatter lasers. Basically I'm mapping all that out so it is fun and looses none of the realism from the WoD system.
AllmightyDM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 pm

That would be so cool! I love the nWoD system Smile
EmeraldWolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm writing up alot of rules examples with Timmy the IG soldier with his various weapons against various foes.
AllmightyDM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:45 am

For anyone who was following this old thread, here's what I've got so far. I'm intending to run this on the next Open Game Day for MSGCG at the Gautier Convention Center. I'll have a table open for anyone who wants to sit down and jump in. Take note, this is my alpha release, I'll have to format it better when I get to work. I'd love input especially on the racial merit picks, the psychic system, or anything else people are concerned about. I will update this document as it gets finished.

Normal Character Creation
1. Create Concept
2. Attributes: 5/4/3 The 5th point in any attribute costs double.
3. Skills: 11/7/4 The 5th point in any skill costs double.
4. Select 3 skill specialties, a +1 on very specific tasks. Ie. Rhino Engines, Las Pistol Maintenance, Laceration Treatment, etc.
5. Add Racial Template
6. Determine Advantages
1. Defense = lowest of Dexterity or Wits
2. Health = stamina + size (5 for most humans)
3. Initiative = dexterity + composure
4. Speed = Strength + Dexterity +5
5. Willpower = Resolve + Composure
6. Virtue and Vice – choose one of each (Charity, Faith, Fortitude, Hope, Justice, Prudence, Temperance) (Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Lust, Pride, Sloth, Wrath)
7. Merits – Take up to 7 points of Merits, the 5th point costs double.
8. Morality – Base Value 7, 0 and you fall to Chaos.

Summary: Nwod and 6th 40k Operate on a 1-5 and 1-10 scale.
1. System Notes –
D6 to D10 Quick Conversion for rolls.
Ie. 4+ to trigger night fighting roll a d10 on results of 7-10 reroll.
2. Characters
3. Equipment – (Reference page 139 NWoDC)
a.       Codex Weapons use their NWoD counterparts for equipment bonus, durability, size, magazine size, and cost, except where the weapon gives a bonus to the user’s strength where it grants that bonus.
b.      Codex Weapons have additional Costs equal to their Damage Rating minus their NWoD counterpart Damage.  These costs may be monetary or require special Advantages such as good reputation, licenses, black market, or security clearance or a combination thereof.
c.       Codex Ballistics weapon’s strength requirement equals the damage of the weapon, unless the weapon uses non-traditional ammunition or is a missile. 
d.      Ballistics Range
Conversion of NWoD Ranges to inches, weapons fall into categories
Revolver, Pistol, Shotgun, Crossbow 12/24/48
SMG Small and Large 18/36/72
Assault Rifle 24/48/96
Rifle 36/72/144
Conversion of Codex Ballistic Weapons
Same as Codex. 
Rapid Fire Weapons have the autofire special rule see page 160.
4.       Vehicles –
a.       Codex Vehicles
Size = 15 + 1 Per point of front armor over 10.
Durability = 3 + 1 Per point of front armor over 10 (Facing Dependant)

5.       FAQ

Melta adds 1d6 to penetration, roll a d10 and 1-6 is added as an additional equipment bonus, 7-10 reroll.
Poisoned Ballistic Weapons - wounds on X+, 7 – (x) = y; Y is the Toxicity (see 181).
Poisoned Blades - wounds on X+, the toxicity is 7 – (X); Y is the Toxicity (see 181).

New Merits:
Vehicle: * to **** - You may begin with a racial dedicated transport and optional equipment up to 50 points worth per Merit Point spent, you may and divide these points on multiple vehicles or purchase spare weapons and equipment to store. Unspent converted points are lost after character creation. For *** Merit Points you may purchase an interplanetary vessel that includes a docking bay for 2 vehicles and 1 weapon turret of your choice (chosen from dedicated transport options) you may purchase spare vehicle options at the same cost for dedicated transports for further Merit Points. You may also permanently liquidate resources to receive this merits effects, given circumstances allow.
Psyker ***** - you may take a primaris power from a psykic discipline available to your race.
Psykic powers are calculated by rolling Willpower plus the strength of the power, with powers without a damage use willpower alone. For Powers like psychic shriek subtract the enemies willpower pool from the caster's, any remaining successes are taken as damage. Additional psychic powers may be purchased for 10 points per warp charge in the cost. Botching a psychic power activation causes an aggravated wounds equal to the number of 1's rolled and failing a psychic roll causes a lethal wound.

Racial Templates:
Eldar: -1 Merit Points, +1 Fast Reflexes, +1 Fleet of Foot, +1 Quick Draw; Fall From Grace – an Eldar who drops to 1 Morality becomes a Dark Eldar though until then, they are not Chaos Immune;
Dark Eldar: Degenerate – Periodically Dark Eldar must inflict pain and suffering on living beings or they begin to age rapidly taking one unhealable bashing per day; Psychic Vampirism – for each level of damage inflicted roll a d10 for each 8 recover 1 bashing damage of degeneration; Chaos Immunity – Dark Eldar are immune to the compulsions of chaos and cannot drop below 1 morality furthermore a fully fed Dark Eldar may ignore his derangements; as Eldar.
Human: +2 Allies, Barfly, or Contacts in any combination.
Necron: Cannot be psykers, -2 Merit Points; Quick Healer; Immortality – cannot die of old age.
Ork: Red Paint Job – if wearing red or driving a red vehicle Fleet of Foot +1, Gun Slinger or Stunt Driver, -1 Merit Points;
Space Marine Initiate/Dropout – Giant +1 size thus +1 Health level (See Merit p.112), -2 Merit Points;
Tau: Pristinely Unpsykic – Iron Stomach, a Tau may never take Psychic Powers and is immune to Chaos Degeneration Effects and Chaos Compulsions; Tau have no Shadow in the Warp.
AllmightyDM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top