Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eldar Warlocks

3 posters

Go down

Eldar Warlocks Empty Eldar Warlocks

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Are they worth taking as a flamer unit? So far these guys look really expensive... roughly 105 points for 3 guys with S5 AP4 flamers, for another 60 points they can have jetbikes.

For that kind of price in my de/cwe lists I could get 2 Venoms and have a handful of points left over. Thoughts?
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Eldar Warlocks Empty Re: Eldar Warlocks

Post  shootiest Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Unless they're in a seer council I'd never take destructor. Conceal for wraithguard units and embolden for guardian units. I don't think I'd run a foot seer council either
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Yeah, Eldar can be really expensive on points and I'm trying to work them into my army. With the Eldar Codex as is I'm looking to aquire the units that are on par with 6th edition in a competive format.

So far my personal list of decent units is:
Autarch
Farseer
Fire Dragons if I can find an effective way to get them in place.
Guardian Jetbikes
War Walkers
and maybe the Wraithlord kitted to shoot.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm not a fan of the autarch at all. He's cheap but is only redeeming factor is +1 reserve rolls. I just can't ever seem to find him being worth his points or an HQ slot.

Farseers are amazing. 100 pts for runes of warding and fortune? Yes,please. Always worth the points. I don't think I've ever played a game without Eldrad now that I'm thinking about it.

I like the avatar but he doesn't seem to work for me unless you center the army around him. Which I'd actually do if I had the forgeworld model,hah.

I usually run fire dragons on my icarus lascannon. I love them. The models are pretty cool too.

Guardian jetbikes are the other unit I always run with my Dark Eldar. Two units of 3 for last turn objective grabbing. Maybe it's how I play but I tend to only win games by playing objectives and they always perform for me.

Warwalkers are amazing too. I've had a hard time trying to include them in my Dark Eldar list but they're definitely worth it. Even if they aren't guided, it's still a lot of str:6 shots. I find that they usually need fortune too or they fall apart quickly.

I love the wraithlord models but I don't like their stats..Anti tank weapons (which is what's going to be firing at a wraithlord) almost negate the toughness:8 and outrange most of the wraithlords weaponry. Maybe I'm biased because of all my poison weaponry though?

shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 pm

I find it hard to play units like the Wraithlord and DE Talos Pain Engine (or Cronos), when there are equivalents in other armies that IMO are far better for the points. The avatar has an invul save, which I find useful.

Compare them to the power of units like the GK Dreadknight, Necron Spiders, Tyranid Mawloc, or Tyranid Tervigon and quickly you will see that they are a point sink compared to their counterparts. I will say things like the Carnifex are very overcosted but if I could put 1-3 Talos or wraithlord in a unit I might be more interested in using them.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm

It really is a shame. The models are awesome looking but they just don't perform like the other heavy options dark eldar / eldar have. pale
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  fulange Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 am

I was once advised to try the "Tri template guardian" style unit. I have used it VERY often and it is TONS of pain. Its a set of 10 storm guardians with 2 flamers, and a warlock with destructor. 130 points base, tho i run them in a Wave serpent to drop them out for last minute objective clearing... (so thats around 300 points depending on how you build your wave serpent). Pretty good for such a low cost. Just remember that its basically a throw away unit (as many eldar units are lol) but if you leverage it properly, it can cause a surprising amount of devastation. 2 flamers and 1 heavy flamer is pretty good! Just remember that (unfortunately) destructor cannot be used on overwatch (But a singing spear can!).
fulange
fulange

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down