Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Eldar single squad analysis

4 posters

Go down

Great or Crap? Dark Eldar Archon with Shadowfield, Huskblade, Soul Trap, and Combat Drugs with a Haemonculus with a Power Weapon and Liquifier, with a trio of Wracks, in a Venom with a splinter cannon. 310 points

Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_lcap0%Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_lcap17%Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_lcap33%Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_lcap17%Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_lcap33%Dark Eldar single squad analysis I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Dark Eldar single squad analysis Empty Dark Eldar single squad analysis

Post  AllmightyDM Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Trying out something new. Debating which power weapon to give the Haemonculus, I'm partial to a spear.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar single squad analysis Empty Re: Dark Eldar single squad analysis

Post  CKO Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:34 pm

What is this unit purpose? I cant rate it without knowing what you plan on using it for.
CKO
CKO

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

This units purpose is to destroy small elite units, monstrous creatures, and troublesome HQs like mephiston and others who do not have Eternal warrior.

The transport has 12 36" range poison shots at ap 5. Its a fast open topped skimmer with a flickerfield, although if it explodes it will be strength 4, the majority toughness is 4 due to the haemonculus and wracks so its a bit more survivable.

The trio of wracks have 2 attacks each 3 on a charge at ws 4, with poison at 4+ weapons. Two pain tokens on from them, one from the haemonculus gives them a possible strength 4 on the charge giving them rerolls to wound on T4 and below. Though I don't believe that makes them any easier to wound. The first pain token gives them FNP, in addition to their armor save of 6+.

The haemonculus has a strength 4, d6 AP template weapon that while random, can prove to be very effective sometimes. The haemonculus benefits from two pain tokens so on the charge has a strength of 4, FNP, and a power weapon.

The hammer of the group is the Archon with his AP2 instant death Huskblade, he's got grenades so he keeps his initiative 7, and gets 6 attacks on the charge with strength 4. Combat Drugs gives him a few good possibilities like rerolling wounds, +1 ws, +1 strength, or another pain token for fearless. He's got a 2++ invulnerable save unless he rolls a 1, then he's pretty much over at T3. If he manages to kill an IC or MC he can make a leadership test to double his base strength for the rest of the battle.

The theory on this is to rush forward to assasinate troublesome units like Imotech, Mephiston, Fateweaver, Demon Princes, or other Warlords.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 pm

AllmightyDM wrote:This units purpose is to destroy small elite units, monstrous creatures, and troublesome HQs like mephiston and others who do not have Eternal warrior.

The transport has 12 36" range poison shots at ap 5. Its a fast open topped skimmer with a flickerfield, although if it explodes it will be strength 4, the majority toughness is 4 due to the haemonculus and wracks so its a bit more survivable.

The trio of wracks have 2 attacks each 3 on a charge at ws 4, with poison at 4+ weapons. Two pain tokens on from them, one from the haemonculus gives them a possible strength 4 on the charge giving them rerolls to wound on T4 and below. Though I don't believe that makes them any easier to wound. The first pain token gives them FNP, in addition to their armor save of 6+.

The haemonculus has a strength 4, d6 AP template weapon that while random, can prove to be very effective sometimes. The haemonculus benefits from two pain tokens so on the charge has a strength of 4, FNP, and a power weapon.

The hammer of the group is the Archon with his AP2 instant death Huskblade, he's got grenades so he keeps his initiative 7, and gets 6 attacks on the charge with strength 4. Combat Drugs gives him a few good possibilities like rerolling wounds, +1 ws, +1 strength, or another pain token for fearless. He's got a 2++ invulnerable save unless he rolls a 1, then he's pretty much over at T3. If he manages to kill an IC or MC he can make a leadership test to double his base strength for the rest of the battle.

The theory on this is to rush forward to assasinate troublesome units like Imotech, Mephiston, Fateweaver, Demon Princes, or other Warlords.

Pretty good way of getting slay the warlord.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Pretty good way to give up slay the warlord to your opponent. Venoms are small and fast but easy to focus and with that much riding in one venom it will definitely be focused
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Will it? Not once at the most recent tournament was my archon's venom fired upon or assaulted. Including my first match, which was against the tournament winner of the last two tournaments.

What alternative would you suggest for a more durable warlord or unit within the dark eldar codex?

I will add that in usage my warlord was only slain once during the three matches after I initiated an assault which resulted in a single armor save to the archon, which he failed on a strength 6+ hit.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 pm

I don't know your army list so I can't say what I'd make target priority. I'm just basing this off how many kills points / melee nasty is riding in that little venom
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm

I think my list has about 26 kill points, its all a bunch of small specialized units. I almost always loose kill points, but my squads are ablative in that I never really loose much when someone drops an alpha strike on my head. And with tournament objectives as they are I run 7 troops. In my opinion the Archon assassin squad mentioned above is a tough unit to crack as far as DE goes, which isn't saying too much defensively.

Flat out first turn get a 4+ cover, don't go first and you still have flickerfield. The unit is a troop unit so it can score. Its got a flamer to deal with hordes, poison to deal with monstrous, strength 4 if I absolutely need to punch a tank, and instant death if there is an hq. It may become a priority target, but at the expense of not shooting at my anti-tank weapons, venomspam, or haywiches.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:48 pm

It definitely has a swiss army knife appeal, haha. I just find that my Dark Eldar units are more effective when I run them highly specialized. I'm sure you've played a lot more than me though Very Happy
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down