Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Birmingham

+3
AArdvark085
AllmightyDM
SamG
7 posters

Go down

From Birmingham Empty From Birmingham

Post  SamG Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 am

Hi everyone,

I'm Sam from Birmingham, AL. I've joined the forums here officially in an attempt to keep up to date with what's going on over in MS and down on the gulf coast. Why would I do this you might wonder? Well, I run a podcast called the Southern Inquisition. I mentioned it a time or two a few months back when we got it started (under the Southern Inquisition nick). We're at a point that we're ready to start encompassing more of the SE in our coverage. I'll definitely keep you all in the loop as I can and of course welcome any and all feedback you may have to offer.

As a player, I'm still a "newb" and play around with Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids and now Dark Angels. I'm personally more into the casual side of 40K gaming and looking to get into campaign play and my co-hosts on the show are more tournament style. I also play computer games ranging from SimCity to WoW, board and card games like Dominion or Settlers of Catan, and run a Pathfinder game for my wife and a couple of friends. In addition to gaming, I work a lot as a bookstore manager, own and run a wedding photography business and in school for my second and later-life degree in History. Other interests include blogging, podcasting (obviously), writing, visiting national parks, coin collecting and my animals and family (last count was at 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 kids, 1 grand kid (2nd one on the way), and the wife.) The answer is "barely". The question: how do I find time?

It's a pleasure to meet you all and look forward to getting to know you all.

Sam

SamG

http://si40k.libsyn.com

Back to top Go down

From Birmingham Empty Re: From Birmingham

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 am

Glad to have you here! Have you run any of the Pathfinder adventure paths yet?
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  SamG Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 am

I'm taking the crew through the Carrion Crown. They're in part 1 of 6, the Haunting of Harrowstone about to actually go dwelving into the prison. Smile

I like the old school feel of 3.5 and the genuine RP aspects of the system.

SamG

Back to top Go down

Post  AArdvark085 Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 am

Sam! Welcome to the Forum! I think yall are doing a great job at SI and I hope we can work with you guys in the future. I think you will find that we have a very active group here in South MS! We tend to travel the I-10 coridor to other clubs in Mobile, Fla and LA but Birmingham is easily with driving distance for a good tournament! Hope to see you soon!

Carl

PS: A lot of what the club members do gets covered on The 19th Legion blog. Please check it out!
AArdvark085
AArdvark085
Admin

http://www.19thlegion.com/Blog/

Back to top Go down

Post  SamG Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:24 am

Carl - thanks!

I will check out the blog when I get home tonight and will definitely be in touch!

SamG

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 am

Oh sweet, I haven't had the opportunity to run Carrion Crown yet, but I've had one group complete Rise of the Runelords and right now they are in book 4 of Kingmaker. Our next slated adventure is Skull and Shackles... lol they want to play pirates!
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  SamG Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

AllmightyDM wrote:Oh sweet, I haven't had the opportunity to run Carrion Crown yet, but I've had one group complete Rise of the Runelords and right now they are in book 4 of Kingmaker. Our next slated adventure is Skull and Shackles... lol they want to play pirates!

I've read good things about Kingmaker - considering that one for them in the future. Depends though if I can convince the wife to run a campaign next Razz

SamG

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 am

My group loves it, its much different than your normal game in that its completely up to the players what they want to do. The free roaming and exploration rules allow the players to steer the game. It could use some additonal encounter sites while exploring, probably 10 per book, but a dm can randomly generate or prepare some stuff off the cuff. Additionally, I'd recommend getting the Guide to the River Nations (3pp) supplement that heavily expands and clarifies on the kingdom building rules.

Also we decided to use a Game of Thrones theme to the whole thing and its just damn impressive.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:47 am

Welcome to the forums. I listen to and enjoy your podcast. (note to self, be more active on the SI forums.) I've been running a Pathfinder campaign down here too. Been building the party up to 6-7th level and next week, they start going Against the Giants. The old, old AD&D adventures G1,2,3 D1,2,3 and Q1 that I've adapted for Pathfinder. Buying all the D&D miniatures to represent everything in the modules was expensive, but will be worth it in the end.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 pm

A guy I knew adapted the Rise of the Overmind series to PF, man that was brutal, but I made it all the way through with my rogue/fighter.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

From Birmingham Empty From Birmingham

Post  Necron Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Sam,
I'm the old man down here ........ Welcome to the forum. Have not had an opportunity to ck out the pod cast but will straight away. I'm playing the Al CAGE Match Qualifier tomorrow in Mobile. The whole AL CAGE thing originates from the B'ham area. Looks pretty cool. I expect to have a great time win loose or draw. Do you see much of teh CAGE crowd?

Also play the historical mini game of FOG "Field of Glory." I have several friends in the BH area associated with this game. There is a Tourney in the BH area in the spring called Brewers-Sailors and I expect to be up that way for the tourney..... maybe we could hook up and you could see some of the FOG stuff...........
Any way welcome and let us know if you find your way down here any time soon

Necron
Dan Sr.
'
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Post  SamG Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:29 am

Good to see so many multi-game players here!

Dan Sr. - I get to see some of the CAGE match folks, including the TO and one of the head judges as they're also hosts on the podcast. I'm not a tournament player myself (yet) but you'll have some good competition from the B'ham crowd.

SamG

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:47 am

Welcome!
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Welcome to the forums