Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games Workshop

+7
Man-of-War
Dr. Hans Zarkov
grots life
EmeraldWolf
fulange
Hinkel
Heretic Steve
11 posters

Go down

Games Workshop Empty Games Workshop

Post  Heretic Steve Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 pm

I am about to leave GW or our hobby completely. It seems the price increases, law suites against authors and Chapterhouse, finecast, poor availability, poorly written rules, etc have finally gotten to me. I don't have much free time for our hobby as it is and now when I play or read about it, I feel a little dirty.

If GW wants to sue over the term space marines then the Asimov family should sue them for millions. So should the Tolkien family for the use of Eldar, Orc, Foehammer, great eagle, high elves, etc.

GW utilizes thousands of "stolen" names and terms. But they may never get a dollar from me again. Not that a dollar would get me anything from them anyway.

Heretic Steve

Back to top Go down

Games Workshop Empty Re: Games Workshop

Post  Hinkel Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Heretic Steve wrote:I am about to leave GW or our hobby completely. It seems the price increases, law suites against authors and Chapterhouse, finecast, poor availability, poorly written rules, etc have finally gotten to me. I don't have much free time for our hobby as it is and now when I play or read about it, I feel a little dirty.

If GW wants to sue over the term space marines then the Asimov family should sue them for millions. So should the Tolkien family for the use of Eldar, Orc, Foehammer, great eagle, high elves, etc.

GW utilizes thousands of "stolen" names and terms. But they may never get a dollar from me again. Not that a dollar would get me anything from them anyway.

now now, dont let how awesome i am scare you away buddy. lol
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

Post  fulange Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 am

Heretic Steve's words are well placed and true! I have been agreeing with you for quite some time. I, however, rely on the secondary market, trades and such, to get the models I need. You are TOTALLY right, however. No $$ for GW sounds good to me!
fulange
fulange

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:53 am

Well put Steve! Sorry to see you go steve but know your logic is spot on. Its sad when suing other parties for intellectual property rights has become a form of income for some (GW, George Lucas, ect). It really does reach a low point in our society when we let this companies squabble and quarrel with people over the right to use the term "space marine". Sadly I'm addicted to it, otherwise I'd take a stand with you. But really! Go you! I am glad to see you taking a stand. I wish I had it in me to do the same. I guess I'm just not fed up enough yet... key word, yet..
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:11 am

I think the big problem is the English legal system more so than GW being the big bad wolf. The annual price increases on the other hand...
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  Heretic Steve Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:31 am

I am not gone yet and plan to attend Wargamescon and the Kalm if work permits. That is a big "IF" because of our new projects in 5 states.

Heretic Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Hans Zarkov Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:49 pm

GW started as a miniature company and the rules were really never meant for competitve play. This is a game that should be played at leisurely pace between two friends, but people have tried to "shoe horn" it into a competitve/tournament style game, which it was never meant for. The rules and confusing and incomplete and the prices are insane. I'm sick of seeing unpainted armies and copy cat internet lists. I would not blame anyone for getting out. I still like to play local meet up games against guys that think like I do and I still want to go to the ATC because I love the team effort and the format, but that's about it.
Dr. Hans Zarkov
Dr. Hans Zarkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:19 pm

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2013/02/spots-space-marine-is-back-up.html

Well the latest lawsuit threat is back up on amazon to buy the e-book thanks to EFF.

I'm too much into Warmachine and Hordes to get back into anything else.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Compared to restoring a car (or in my case, four cars) a Warhammer army is a very cheap hobby despite the current prices. I have so much stuff because I've been collecting it for 20 years and I'm an eBay/Bartertown bargain hunter. I also tend to keep armies instead of selling them when the next best one comes out.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Cough cough......warmachine/hordes....cough cough.

If you want to play competitive, buy from a US company, and enjoy a system that supports tournaments with defined rules, look into warmachine/hordes.

But I believe you're a maliflux fan, unless I'm mistaken.
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  fulange Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 am

dont get me wrong, there are quite a few things about 40k that are good, i LOVE the scale of the game. I think (some) of their factions/races are really kewl (mechanics aside), and the fact that 40k accounts for such a huge % of the mini's playerbase really does contribute. Frankly, its easier to find opponents...

That said, their desire to make money with their business (understandable tho it may be) runs counter to my personal views as a gamer. To me, the game should be sacred, the bottom line, is it should be fun, for everyone! Game balance is a great way to ensure fun for everyone. (and rock/paper/scissors is not balance) It is not fun to show up to a game with a faction/army you love, and think are really kewl and watch them get slaughtered because someone with the newest or most expensive thingey just because they are the newest and most expensive. I first noticed it when I read the 5th ed tyranid codex. They barely nerf'ed almost every unit from the 4th ed codex, then made SUPER awesome stats for new models to sell the new stuff. that was the first time I gave up on 40k... but the fact of the matter is I came back because its why my friends were playing and I LOVE MINI-GAMING! (even tho, i loathe painting lol)
fulange
fulange

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 am

If this is the thread to rant about GW, I'll throw in my two cents. I'm continuing to play because my gaming group does and many of my dislikes with it were covered above. My chosen army has a lot of neat things, but nearly every "competitive" de list has the same units. I thought my army would have some really neat things unique to it, but it seems like with every release that other armies get those same bonuses at less cost and better. Thematic things like the theoretical glass hammer of the DE don't exist when invulnerable saves and eternal warrior are being handed out like candy to newer armies, while I'm swinging at strength 3. I'm not saying I want godlings that curb stomp everything, but I'd like some extra attack power or on par unique themed powers in exchange for all the low armor saves, low toughness, lack of good wargear options, and pitiful vehicle armor. Why play xenos when the imperials get all of your neat toys and they get better versions of them. 40k is an over expensive hobby whereas I can pick up most rpg books for a tiny fraction of the cost. I hear constantly about hoping for better rules, hoping for better units/new codexes, and imo GW fails to deliver 10 out of 10 times.

Yeah I'll keep playing because my friends do, but at least I can supplement my gaming with Warmachine so I can get a balanced game in. Checkers pits skill versus skill, 40k pit dollars versus dollars, insomuch as whoever can get the latest greatest does better. Some won't agree, but I don't see any Eldar in the top tiers at tourneys. If the game was balanced generally you'd see an equal distribution of armies at the top.

Last edited by AllmightyDM on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  jkpz28 Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 am

I don't think you have to worry about anyone disagreeing that the game is not balanced. Its not at all, but when you pull a win on one of the latest and greatest army lists out there it makes you feel that much better about it What a Face
jkpz28
jkpz28
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Although if the trend continues with new codexes as it has with the Chaos and DA, they may be correcting the balance issues.
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinkel Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Maybe the new CEO is learning and they are trying more better again. Lol
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Warhammer is a hobby. It's an excuse to collect toy soldiers, paint them and hang out with your buddies.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinkel Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 pm

grots life wrote:Warhammer is a hobby. It's an excuse to collect toy soldiers, paint them and hang out with your buddies.

Could not agree more, this is the main reason I do it, plus I love the fluff
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

Post  Necron Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm

OK Believe me Eldar are not so bad as one thinks .... And their evil brothers are pretty bad as well ....

In the Alabama 40K State Final ..... 26 total Players

DE ..... finished 3/26

E/DE .... finished 5/26

E ..... finished 14/26

All in all that is pretty competative Smile

BTW Dark Angles finished 1/26 Sad

N
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Oh I splice craftworld eldar into my DE lists a bit, they have some staying power that their dark kin lack in addition to the psychic powers. Point for point though they are behind the curve and for tournament play, I'd rather not shoot myself in the foot if I can help it.

My gripe with GW though centers around their lack of updates and communication with their customers. What has/had it been over 10 years between the last eldar/dark eldar updates? What I see from the club, is that a good portion of us want to play in tournaments for competitive purposes and there just seems to be a lack of support from the company in that area. I try alot of games and have shelves of RPG books, many collecting dust from disuse. I've had the lead designer from Paizo give me input on an adventure that I wrote and gave me his thoughts on some ideas I presented, that's the kind of company I like to support.

40k isn't a bad game, but there are other companies actively competing for its players and much like how Paizo picked up the reigns of Dungeons and Dragons (pathfinder) when wotc and Hasbro dropped the ball, games like warmachine have begun to peak my interest.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Not trying to offend anyone here by saying any of this.

My main thing that I like is finding out different tactics, going against friends for a challenge. I've always liked challenges ever since I just knew how to play Chess. From that point on Strategy games is what I liked. My painting skills lack a bit in my mind. It's the reason I'm so slow with painting. If you beat me in a game I don't whine I just gather myself and see what I done wrong that I could change for next time. In warmachine/Hordes every faction has their bread and butter units, but it's how you use them is what makes you better at it. If you can sacrifice a model for the sake of pulling a 'rabbit out your a$$' win then do it. The dice are there for frustration is what one player put it so elegantly towards me once about warmahordes. Plus I'd rather Loose in a fun game then Win a game that which no one had fun in playing. Also people that brag in front of me about their prowess in a game that I know just as much about usually brings out my competitive side more than anything else towards these people.

40k is a hobby too, but for as long as I remember people would win the game with any army... I seen Dan Sr. win with necrons before the update that everyone was like.... "It's an out of date codex". I seen another guy win a tournament with Eldar at Jaks and no one ever knew his name. I seen Dark Eldar do the same even now against Chaos marines. I see it all the time on thedarkcity.net. Seen Tom win with Chaos Daemons and Chaos Marines when they where out of dated too. People loose site that with sound and solid tactics can still win the day in 40k no matter how their army is built if they really want to win, but most of all. All these people I described just wanted to have fun with the game with some friends not whine about stuff if they lose.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down