something along the lines of "original"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

something along the lines of "original"

Post  Despoiler on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Anybody ever have the idea to create their own wargame (or any other type of game) and actually do it? I've had some ideas(some are better than others Crying or Very sad ..) and would like to, but really don't have a group of people to bounce ideas off of.. I just think it'd be fun to try, ya know?
Despoiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: something along the lines of "original"

Post  grots life on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Calvinball with mini's?
grots life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Despoiler on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Ha ha... yeah... something like that. I read somewhere that the best way to go about it is to take every thing you like about the games you like and mix it together with what you think shoulda been in there and you'll have it, so I'm gonna try that and see what I come up with.
Despoiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:17 pm

I have a role playing game I've been working on that i want to turn into a tabletop war game Smile but i need help developing Smile
EmeraldWolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Despoiler on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 am

Never made an rpg before. Did you base the rules off another game system (dnd) or make your own? And for the wargame-- are you goin for a more 40k feel or something else? I took a look at the fallout wargame, it gave me a few ideas. A mix between magic, 40k, WoW, WMH, fallout, and my own post apoc characters is the idea I had, and the special abilities and whatnot are giving me problems..
Despoiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Heretic Steve on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:42 am

If you are serious about this then I suggest a brainstorming session with a few individuals who have played a variety of games and start from scratch. Don't forget turn sequence, phases, type of dice used, cards or stat sheets, setting, scenarios, etc.

Of course, this will take some time. I am facebook friends with the gentleman who started Pulp City. He is currently updating to their new edition so he has done this 2+ times.

Heretic Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:55 pm

The roleplaying game is completely original. With stats i created. Its D6 success system, i chose D6 because they're easy to find. It was originally made to be able to be played while in a car or walking so it was very basic. It later evolved into what it is a game that levels up skills not characters. What i wanted was a combat system that could carry over to a table top war game to carry out fights of any size. Able to play just battles or role plays with characters that could be part of or even lead armies.
EmeraldWolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Despoiler on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Heretic Steve, that's not a bad idea.. and yes I'm very serious been thinking about doing this for some time now. And emeraldwolf I can bring what I have typed up to the apoc game next week and let ya see what i got, its a lil long to post..
Despoiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 am

As far as rpg tabletop games, SLA Industries has a section of really good rules. You play a bunch of cracked out tv star serial killers who work for government contracts. Anways, I love their 2d10 system for skills. You roll 2d10 + your skill rank minus situational bonuses, which is a rating between +/- 1 and 10, skills cost character points like 1 rank is 5, 2 is 7 (5 + 2), 3 is 10 (5+2+3), 4 is 14 (5+2+3+4), and so on. It also has an armor as damage reduction system, which works really well. The system falls apart in the iniative steps where it gets over complicated.

World of Darkness, also a d10 system, has probably one of the easiest to understand methods for character creation, in addition to the user friendly scantron type character sheets. Owod (old) has a wounds system that is truly impressive.

Pathfinder has simplified one of the most cumbersome mechanics of rpgs, the special combat maneuevers rules. Nearly every system gets bogged down with special manuevers with 20 extra pages of rules and various wrestling moves and special hand to hand rolls. Pathfinder boils it down to CMB (combat maneuver attack) and CMD (combat maneuver defense), with various weapons and equipment giving you standard bonuses in a prepared/unprepared kind of way. Simple is better.

40k has some great tabletop mechanics, which in my opinion they streamlined a good deal by using keywords in codexes and explanations in the core rules. Now is going to be years before they finish overhauling the system, but idealisically its a great way to do it. Special army rules like Power from Pain for DE work nicely, but runs into the problem of getting outdated.
AllmightyDM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Despoiler on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm thinking of using customizable character cards, like how a space marine has all the goodies that come with it to outfit them. I really like the card mechanic of wmh and would like to mix it with bigger battles like 40k. flavoring it with options from a book and doing the dry erase thing so you can recreate your character if you choose (modeling the character then becomes the issue) but maybe the image stays the same on the card and you put on the card the options you paid for from the book and model it to suit. if anyone is interested in helping me with this let me know. And I'm more than willing to share credit in its creation. Its kinda been a labor of love since I was in high school and I would love to see my characters as minis.
Despoiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm

In the table top part i wanted players to be able customize armies n units to be theirs with lots of strategy options and custom weapons n war gear. But still have a roleplay aspect where players can get into their units and tell a story Smile
EmeraldWolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top