Soon to be from Hattiesburg

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Soon to be from Hattiesburg

Post  mgtymouze on Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Hello All,
I am moving to Hattiesburg within the month and was directed here as a possible place to find other gamers. My primary interest is 28mm Table Top war games (mainly Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy). I am open to other games if the player base is there though. Any information or leads anyone could give me to possibly meet some like minded gamers within the area would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Soon to be from Hattiesburg

Post  AArdvark085 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Hey welcome to South MS! You are welcome to game with on the Coast but you will be happy to know that Hattiesburg has a very active gaming community too! Several of the members post on the forum so post up and see if you can make a connection! Looking forward to meeting you!

Carl
AArdvark85
AArdvark085
Admin

View user profile http://www.19thlegion.com/Blog/

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War on Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 am

mgtymouze wrote:Hello All,
I am moving to Hattiesburg within the month and was directed here as a possible place to find other gamers. My primary interest is 28mm Table Top war games (mainly Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy). I am open to other games if the player base is there though. Any information or leads anyone could give me to possibly meet some like minded gamers within the area would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Find Hub City Hobby store in orange grove community a little west of hattiesburg. They have the phone numbers you need to get in touch with the guys that get together weekly there. I think their place is somewhere around the ropers night club on highway 49... not certain as to where though. Also there are a couple here like Aardvark said that lurk/post on here.
Man-of-War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War on Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 am

Also if your able to come to Jaks store in biloxi off of pass road that's where some others get together on sundays to play. I myself won't be there for a while due to new addition to the family recently. Possibly up to 2 weeks. Otherwise I'd be trying to talk you into playing warmachine/hordes from privateer press. I have extra armies to teach games if you ever want to try it out.
Man-of-War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mgtymouze on Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. Actually if I remember correctly the Hub City Hobby Store is just around the corner (ok within a few miles) from the house I am buying. I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the local area but it has been roughly 20 years since I have lived in southern miss. I will definitely check out the Store and see if I can find someone to game with.

I also appreciate the offer for the introduction to Warmachine Wan-o-War. I have heard good things about Jaks from a kid here in Washington state who is in the Air Force. I will have to convince the wife to let me slip away if I am going to drive that far, but it shouldn't be too hard since the distance is about the same to the store I shopped/played at in Kentucky. Congrats on the new addition to the family also.

Once again, thank you.

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War on Tue May 21, 2013 11:09 pm

mgtymouze wrote:Thanks for the replies. Actually if I remember correctly the Hub City Hobby Store is just around the corner (ok within a few miles) from the house I am buying. I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the local area but it has been roughly 20 years since I have lived in southern miss. I will definitely check out the Store and see if I can find someone to game with.

I also appreciate the offer for the introduction to Warmachine Wan-o-War. I have heard good things about Jaks from a kid here in Washington state who is in the Air Force. I will have to convince the wife to let me slip away if I am going to drive that far, but it shouldn't be too hard since the distance is about the same to the store I shopped/played at in Kentucky. Congrats on the new addition to the family also.

Once again, thank you.

Your welcome man and thanks for the congratulations. We have a gameday every month also which the next one is on the 22nd of June in Gautier and if your wanting to conserve gas every now and then you can hitch a ride with me to either Jaks or to the game day. Me living in wiggins is sorta in the middle between where you'll be going.
Man-of-War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mgtymouze on Sat May 25, 2013 3:05 pm

I appreciate the offer for a ride. I am bringing some of my gaming stuff with me in my truck so I may be able to check out the event on the 22nd. Otherwise I am at the mercy of the movers (both on delivery and things I am letting them pack arriving undestroyed). On the other hand I am at the mercy of the wife and kids leaving me room in my truck to transport things.

Just out of curiosity, what is the predominant gaming system(s) being played in the area? Also what is the meta like (I am a sportsmanship winner in most tourneys I place in, not uber sick death list guy)? Currently I run CSM and Space Wolves for 40K (I also have about 1500 of guard), Dwarves for WHFB with a ton of unassembled chaos models. I have also found the GW systems of Necromunda and Mordheim to be very fun. Hordes, Warmachine, and Flames of War have caught my eye but I cannot find anyone who I would like to play with who plays these systems. Almost all those I have met who play those have been WAAC dudes; not my cup of tea. Oh and Malifaux looks interesting in a twisted sort of way. I am willing to make the investment for a new gaming system if I can link up with a good group.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  justinrmomo on Sat May 25, 2013 5:48 pm

If you are into historical wargaming we have a pretty active group. A lot of us play FOG(ancient wargaming) and there is a group of guys who play all sorts of historical gaming(ancients-WWII) at the game days in Gautier. I play a little WWII skirmishing, like you I've thought about jumping in to Flames of War but there aren't too many takers around here. Shoot me a PM if you want some more info. Welcome to the area!

mgtymouze wrote:I appreciate the offer for a ride. I am bringing some of my gaming stuff with me in my truck so I may be able to check out the event on the 22nd. Otherwise I am at the mercy of the movers (both on delivery and things I am letting them pack arriving undestroyed). On the other hand I am at the mercy of the wife and kids leaving me room in my truck to transport things.

Just out of curiosity, what is the predominant gaming system(s) being played in the area? Also what is the meta like (I am a sportsmanship winner in most tourneys I place in, not uber sick death list guy)? Currently I run CSM and Space Wolves for 40K (I also have about 1500 of guard), Dwarves for WHFB with a ton of unassembled chaos models. I have also found the GW systems of Necromunda and Mordheim to be very fun. Hordes, Warmachine, and Flames of War have caught my eye but I cannot find anyone who I would like to play with who plays these systems. Almost all those I have met who play those have been WAAC dudes; not my cup of tea. Oh and Malifaux looks interesting in a twisted sort of way. I am willing to make the investment for a new gaming system if I can link up with a good group.

justinrmomo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life on Sat May 25, 2013 9:07 pm

It seems to be mainly 40K and Warmachine down here. There are the FOG folks too. As far as any other system, people are game to try anything, but it's advisable that you have an army to provide your opponent. I keep looking at the Dystopian Wars mini's and getting all misty eyed. Sooner or later, I'll break down and buy the book and two starter armies.

With 40K and Warmachine, if you're interested in an army you don't have, just ask on here and somebody will have an army you can play to see if you like it. I don't know of anyone who has just one army here.
grots life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War on Sat May 25, 2013 11:21 pm

mgtymouze wrote:I appreciate the offer for a ride. I am bringing some of my gaming stuff with me in my truck so I may be able to check out the event on the 22nd. Otherwise I am at the mercy of the movers (both on delivery and things I am letting them pack arriving undestroyed). On the other hand I am at the mercy of the wife and kids leaving me room in my truck to transport things.

Well the warmachine/hordes crowd is a group of us here that plays to have fun. There are some competitive players out there like me and a few others, but we aren't WAAC. I like showing people the ropes and then once they know the rules some take the kid gloves off and see how they handle pressure. There is nothing like someone pulling a rabbit out of a hat win that you didn't see before when they are under pressure. Kinda makes me feel proud I'm a good teacher and gives me more experience at the same time.
Man-of-War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mgtymouze on Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 am

Like I was saying gents open to pretty much any system as long as I can tie in with a good group. Stressed as hell at the moment because the movers are showing up tomorrow and have to tag team with the wife for the next three days while I get packed out. Also praying my 4 year old doesn't freak with all this going on.

Just out of curiosity, what is the start up cost on Warmachine or one of the other popular systems. GW products are starting to look like a 5 to 6 month build for a new army at their current prices. Of course I am going to have to consult with my financial advisor (yes my wife lets me have an allowance) once we get settled in the area to see what my monthly budget for toys are.

Next week can't come soon enough when the West coast is in my rear view mirror and I am heading home to the South!

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life on Tue May 28, 2013 2:02 am

Where on the west coast are you coming from?
grots life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mgtymouze on Tue May 28, 2013 2:08 am

Tacoma/Seattle area otherwise known as 10 months of rain for 2 great months of summer.

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War on Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 pm

mgtymouze wrote:Like I was saying gents open to pretty much any system as long as I can tie in with a good group. Stressed as hell at the moment because the movers are showing up tomorrow and have to tag team with the wife for the next three days while I get packed out. Also praying my 4 year old doesn't freak with all this going on.

Just out of curiosity, what is the start up cost on Warmachine or one of the other popular systems. GW products are starting to look like a 5 to 6 month build for a new army at their current prices. Of course I am going to have to consult with my financial advisor (yes my wife lets me have an allowance) once we get settled in the area to see what my monthly budget for toys are.

Next week can't come soon enough when the West coast is in my rear view mirror and I am heading home to the South!

http://www.discountgamesinc.com/ This is where I get my warmachine/hordes stuff from. A battlebox is roughly 35 bucks which usually gives you a warcaster/warlock and a few warjacks/warbeasts to start out. Usually the battleboxes are in the 10-14 point range depending on what faction you get. There really isn't a weak army in this game so usually people go with what they feel looks right to them to learn the game. I personally play trollbloods, but every faction has a place where it excels. Most tournaments are 50 points. The rookie tournaments are from the 35 point range though. The next gameday tournament for us will be 25 points.

Here is a link for you to read into the factions if you want to learn more... http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/

It gives you a general idea of how the factions play, but not an exact way. Also has most of the pics of the models so you can get an idea of what you'd like.
Man-of-War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mgtymouze on Wed May 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks for the link, but I am more of a watch a few games and decide or go for what looks coolest to me kind of player. I am generally known for off the wall tactics too; i.e. WHFB Dwarves moving all over the place (at least that was strange when I was heavy into 7E) or Deepstriking into an area most would consider insane (it is so cool though when I do pull it off). I will read up more as I get time, but trying to get out of Fort Lewis and purchasing a house from across the country is taking it's toll on my free time. I will be reading up some as I stop in Hotels on my trek east. Ironically just because of the name, mercenaries seem to be calling my name.

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War on Wed May 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Ah sound like a gutsey player. Usually I'm the one pulling those every now and then..... A if I pull this off it will win/turn the game in my favor..... If it don't I'll lose, but still have fun lol.

Mercenaries are a pretty big faction that can be played 4 different ways. Pirates(Talion Charter), Dwarves(Seaforge Comission), the bad mercs(4 star syndicate), and good mercs(High Born covenant) through different contracts in the faction forces of mercenaries book. Each Contract has it's ups and downs.
Man-of-War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mgtymouze on Fri May 31, 2013 11:13 am

Wouldn't say gutsy, more, as my friends put it, insane. Still reading up on it. Will keep you posted and probably hit you up with questions.

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mgtymouze on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Finally made it to Hattiesburg! Woot! Just got the cable and internet up and busting my hindside to get the house in order (wife has grounded me until she feels we are sufficiently set up).

Looking at the Dwarven Mercs for Warmachine, but I think that is because I love dwarves. Am I right in it seems like you have to run a Major force and then put the Mercs in? Until later.

mgtymouze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:36 pm

No you don't have to buy into a major faction in this game then field mercs. What you looking at is called the Seaforge Commission Contract for mercs. Get the Forces of Warmachine book on Mercs and it'll tell you the benefits you get from the contract, what you can field out of the book, and whatnot for that specific contract there are 3 others in the book as well being pirates, the 2 sets of mercs that'll work for the 2 good and 2 bad prime factions of the game. Mercs can work with other factions as allies, but that's what makes this game  a lot more versatile. Just play what you like. This game is pretty balanced except for when bad matchups happen which doesn't happen that often.

The starter box for Sea Forge is these 5 models:
Gorten Grundback
Gordson Driller
3 Grundback Gunners

The starter or battle box helps you get a feel for the game at first then you add more to get in higher points. Most starters are around about 10-15 points which makes for pretty quick games. The club is having a tournament for 25 points this saturday at Gautier on the coast if your up to wanting to actually see games played before jumping in and are able to get away.
Man-of-War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top