Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles

2 posters

Go down

The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles  Empty The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles

Post  Hinkel Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Here we can talk about rumors, tactics, and other cool Ork stuff.  so enjoy

The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles  Orkart_zps3c5915a5
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles  Empty Re: The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles

Post  Hinkel Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Last edited by Hinkel on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles  Empty Re: The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles

Post  Hinkel Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Review: The Red WAAAGH! Formations

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/07/16/review-the-red-waaagh-formations/

Reecius here to give you the low-down on The Red Waaagh’s cool new Formations! There is some AWESOME stuff in there!

The Red WAAAGH! is a campaign supplement for 40K. There are several interesting formations in it that we wanted to review. As always, check out the Tactics Corner for more great reviews!
The supplement itself expands on the Grukk Facerippa narrative that began in the Ork Codex. The supplement is pretty cool, it develops a fun story between the Orks and Imperium (mostly focusing on Astra Militarum, Knights and Scions in this book) in an ongoing, major conflict. There is a lot of good content in there for missions, scenarios, etc. Also, there is some awesome artwork in the book, too!
For most players, beyond the fluff, the big draw will be the Formations that are presented as these will be the most commonly used elements of it. There are some nasty Formations in there!
Adamantine Lance
The first Formation, and probably most powerful, is the Adamantine Lance. It consists of 3 Knights (Paladins or Errants). Their special rule is that so long as a Knight is within 3″ of another Knight in the Formation, they can reroll their Ion Shield saves, reroll their charge distance and get D3 HoW hits. WOW. That is–obviously–extremely good. Going from a 50% chance of deflecting a hit to 75% is a massive boost in durability to an already durable unit. The only downside, at all, is that it forces them to stay close to one another. But, if you they do need to break apart to go after different targets, oh well, each of them is still a Knight! If you are taking 3 Knights, there is no reason not to use this Formation.
The obvious counter to this Formation is to try and force them to split apart to lose their benefit. A 3″ radius is pretty unforgiving.
The Steel Host
Another GREAT Formation. I love Leman Russes, and have 9 of them in my Astra Militarum army. Unsurprisingly, a Formation that revolves around those tanks will appeal to me, on a personal level.
The Formation consists of a Tank , 3 squadrons of Leman Russes and a Hydra. The Hydra is not all that appealing, but, it is not bad, either. A little AA in your list is something you should have anyway, and this covers that role. The big benefit though, is that any vehicle within 12″ of the Tank Commander get Preferred Enemy! Boo-Yah! That is fantastic. 12″ is a nice healthy radius, too, and gives you some room to maneuver.
Obvious choices to go in this formation are the Punisher whose high volume of shots really gives you mileage on Preferred Enemy, and the Executioner where it allows you to reroll Gets Hot! rolls, which is critical to keeping the damned thing from committing suicide. The rerolls of 1 to wound also mean that you will in most cases wound every model you hit. Vanquishers are also a good choice here as Preferred Enemy makes their single shot much more reliable.
You may still want to take a generic pie thrower such as a stock Russ or Demolisher, or the excellent and cheap Eradicator as even with 12″ range on the Preferred Enemy bubble, you can find yourself getting crowded with 5 Russes. These units don’t need Preferred Enemy, but benefit from it when they do get it freeing them up to act with greater independence than an Executioner or Punisher would.
In all, this is an excellent Formation and if you like Russes and want to take lots of them, there is no reason to not take this Formation. I will certainly be giving it a shot!
Rampart Detachment
Another winner! The Formation consists of 1 Platoon Command Squad and 2 units of 5+ Bullgryn. The reason this Formation is so solid is because of the incredibly awesome Fearless rule. All members of the Formation gain Fearless, Fear, and Counter-attack (which no longer requires a Ld check to pass). That is incredible for low leadership Bullgryn as it means they no longer need a babysitter. Ogryn and Bullgryn got much better this edition due to Smash getting nerfed. That means the amount of strength 10 attacks floating around has gone way down, making an investment in expensive multi-wound models much, much safer. With Counter-attack and Fearless, this Formation provides you with ultra-reliable assault or counter assault units. As a nice little bonus, fear can really help win a fight and any friendly infantry units that are partially obscured by models from the Formation get +1 to their cover save, which is cool. Even the PCS has this which is funny. It also means they can give the benefit to one another.
I like this Formation quite a bit. I would take with 2 minimum sized units of Bullgryns with Mauls and most likely attach a Priest to each unit for Hatred and War Hymns. That creates 2 nasty units that can put a beating on most targets, particularly if they get their War Hymn off. The PCS I would equip with 4 Flamers or Grenade Launchers and either play them aggressively as a throw away unit, or hide them if I was worried about giving up First Blood too easily. In all, this is a solid Formation if a little pricey.
Gorkanaut Krushin Krew
This Formation consists of 3 Gorkanauts which get a special rule corresponding to the turn number. They start with nothing, and from there get Furious Charge turn 2, that plus Hatred Turn 3, and both plus Shred Turn 4+.
Not bad. The bonus is nice, and Gorkanauts do hit hard, but, I am simply not sold on them. They really should have been Super Heavy Walkers like a Knight, IMO, and they would have been stellar. As is though, they are very pricey and can die from a single shot weapon. They will pack a wallop but this is a big points investment that can evaporate on the first turn of shooting before they do anything. I would give this a meh, unless you had your heart set on playing multiple Nauts, in which case, why not use it?
Mogrok’s Bossboyz
I like this Formation! Orks badly need more HQ slots, and this gives it to them. Now, it may not be the HQs you wanted exactly, and it forces you to take Mogrok as your Warlord (Big Mek with the Kunnin’ But Brutal Warlord Trait) which is a bit of a bummer as it means no WAAGH! but the extra HQs is really good for Orks. The Formation consists of 3 Big Meks (one of which is Mogrok), a Warboss and a level 2 Weirdboy. Your special rules are slick, D3 Ork units get Acute Senses and Outflank during deployment. Nice! That is a really cool benefit that creates a ton of flexibility to deal with changing situations you find yourself facing due to deployment, opponent, going first or second, etc. That means you can Outflank a giant unit of Boyz or a ‘Naut, or whatever you want. Combine that with Kommandos, Buggies, etc. and you can make a really cool reserving beta strike list! Don’t forget that Ourflank is conferred onot a dedicated transport, too, so that can get fun with Battlewagons.
The Formation also gives you +1 to Seize the Initiative. Nice! Combo that with Da Finkin Kap and try to get the Strategic Trait that also gives you a +1 to Seize and rerolling reserve rolls and you have a winner!
This Formation allow you to do a lot. You can go Battlewagons and give each a KFF, or sprinkle the Big Meks around in units of Boyz to do the same thing. You can kit them up to fight and join them all together to form a mini-deathstar, you can give them all Shokk Attack Guns and form a little artillery unit, etc. It gives you a ton of flexibility. You can toss in the HQ from another detachment too, like a Painboy for even more flexibility. You can opt to not kit out the ICs in this Formation to keep them cheap, too, and that extra Ld on the Meks can really help units of Boyz to not kill themselves with Mob Rule.
In general, this Formation gives you a lot of options at the price of a WAAGH! I think that is a fair trade, plus it forces you to take a Weirdboy, which some players will balk at, but the Ork psychic powers are all actually really good plus he packs a Force Weapon which can come in very handy.
In all, these are some fun, effective Formations that add a lot to any army that opts to take them.
- See more at: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/07/16/review-the-red-waaagh-formations/#sthash.cG0wkUMj.dpuf

Last edited by Hinkel on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinkel Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Tried the Ork Battlewagon “Blitz Brigade” Formation…

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/07/12/tried-the-ork-battlewagon-blitz-brigade-formation/

Had a game yesterday with my Orks vs. Raw Dogger’s new, nasty, Astra Militarum list featuring a Stormlord that he has been kicking butt with. I wanted to share some of what I had learned about the Blitz Brigade and Battlewagons in general. As always check out the Tactics Corner for more great reviews!
The Blitz Brigade consists of 5 Battlewagons, all which must take a Ram or Deff Rolla. As Deff Rollas got nerfed to high, holy hell, it will be all Rams, all the time. In addition, their special rule is that they all get Scouts, which is pretty fantastic.
I ran the following:
Warboss in Mega Armor with Lucky Stikks
Mad Dok
Mek
Mek
Boyz x 19: Nob, Klaw, Pole
MANz x 4: Skorchas, Pole
Lootas x 15
Aegis
Battle Wagons x 5: Riggers, Rokkit, Ram
Let me preface this by saying I lost the game BIG. Like, severe ass whipping. But, to give an idea of what the game was like, my very first action of the game was to move my Battlewagon with Mad Dok over my own Aegis and rolling snake eyes to immobilize myself. 1/36 times, it happens every time! Raw Dogger only fired the Manticore twice, but he blew up 3 Battlewagons by the top or turn 2 with it as a lucky scatter on the second shot actually allowed him to clip two BWs, and then proceeded to roll a 6 every time on the damage table. Doh! Yeah, so it was that kind of game. That said, I see the potential in the Wagons and know what I would do differently, next time. Also, I immobilize myself all the time even with the reroll, lol, 3 out of the last 4 games I have done that! Que sad trombone.
bwlifta5

As for the Battlewagons themselves, they were excellent despite my bad luck. Grot Riggers on that many wagons is not needed. When your main goal is to assault, you only need to live for a turn or two, max. The riggers won’t really make a difference there. For the same reason, you don’t need the Meks, either. They work great on a Wagon that is hanging back to shoot, as with Lootas for example, but on an assault boat, keep it as cheap as possible as it is likely to get smoked. The Scout move was really awesome. Raw Dogger had Servo Skulls which largely kept me from getting too much closer, but he had an infiltrating unit with Meltas that would have been able to hit side armor on one of my Wagons turn 1, but I used my Scout move to redeploy laterally in my own deployment zone to get away from him. So, even without going up-field, it was still very useful. I could have Outflanked too, had I wanted to, but I like to keep all my assets in play if possible so I can overwhelm my opponent.
I stuck the Megaboss with the Lootas so they could move and shoot via S&P. First off, this is not the best idea if you want them hanging back and shooting as the Megaboss wants to go forth and stomp. A Megamek would be better here, with a KFF, too. The Lootas in the BW though, were hawt. They stayed safe and were pumping out fire power. This is the type of unit that goes well with Grot Riggers and Meks as it will be more likely to benefit from the repairs in a war of attrition. That said, if you do have to assault with them, they hit like Shoota Boys which isn’t bad, and if they have a S&P model with them, they can fire their guns and still charge (but lose Overwatch).
meganob5

The MANz had terrible luck and their Wagon got blown up on the first shot of the game by a lucky Manticore volley, but as I had Scouted forward, they were still a big threat. They unfortunately died a terrible death before doing anything, but turn two they were still in Raw Dogger’s backfield despite their transport never actually going anywhere. That is one of the benefits of the formation: so long as your opponent can’t stop Scout moves, you are assured to be close to them even if the wagons getting popped early in the game.
The BIG downside to the wagons though, is that with the new Explodes! rules, a big unit of Boyz gets out where the Wagon was, in perfect blast/template formation. I had a Wagon explode, the Boyz inside took 6 casualties from the explosion and then get hit by a Wyvern which killed the remaining 14 Boyz in a single volley. Ouch! You really have to be mindful of that as it will devastate you. You don’t have much wiggle room when getting them out as the footprint of a BW is actually pretty small.
The Aegis did help to mitigate the direct fire weapons, but, the Manticore was what was busting my balls and an Aegis doesn’t stop that. Perhaps a VSG or even a Skyshield would be better. Or, nothing at all and save the points. Often with the Scout move, you will leave the static protection behind.
By the time I made combat, and I did eventually make it, I had too few Boyz left to do anything. Raw Dogger has a blob with a Priest and Coteaz who ate the Boyz that assaulted them for breakfast (Priests are amazingly good for 25pts, holy crap) and another unit killed a squad of Vets, but then were left in formation for Heavy Flamers and those Ork Mulching Wyverns to do their thing, and got obliterated.
The other weakness was that I had no support units at all. If I played an air force or flying circus, I would have had a rough go of it.
download (1)

Giving it another go, I would make it very one dimensional: as many Boyz going up the field as possible, as cheaply as possible.
5 units of 20 Boyz, Nob, Klaw, Pole
5 BWs, Ram, Rokkit
1400pts
That’s a lot of bodies, klaws and AV14 going upfield with enough points left over to get some decent support units. It’s also 5 ObSec scoring units, too. You have enough bodies to take some pretty hefty casualties and still hit hard when you get there.
The other nice thing about this Formation is that with Scouts, you can risk not taking a Warboss for that awesome WAAGH!!. I would consider taking 2 regular Painboys in this list as very cheap ways to buff two of the units of boys and make them far more survivable.
That brings you to 1500pts. So, with that, I would look at filling some really important gaps. AA for one, and Traktor Kannons are amazing for that. A unit of 3 with 3 ammo runts works great and is only 129pts. Lobbas allow you to shred light infantry almost anywhere on the table, and run 105 for 5 with ammo runts. That puts you at 1734. Options-Strategy

You have a number of options there, you could push some stuff around and add in a unit or Rokkit Buggies, take a Burna-Bomma, up-gun one of the Painboys to Mad Dok, up-gun one of the units of Boyz to Lootas, etc. You have some room to fine tune it to what you want, exactly. It also leaves you room to give one unit of Boyz Eavy Armor so that they can be the hardest Boyz around!
Alternatively, you could look at swapping a unit or two of Boyz for some Tankbustas. They run 35pts more for 15 than a unit of 20 kitted Boyz runs but, they pack a wallop. They will also have a huge target on their head and give you less bodies although they’re still Orks and hit like Shoota Boyz in an assault which isn’t bad. The ability to really smack a tank or 3+ save MC can be extremely useful though, so this option certainly bears consideration.
In all, I think the Blitz Brigade is a solid formation with a lot of potential. It is an extreme list though, that will often overwhelm someone who can’t deal with it, or get owned when someone has the right tools and a bit of luck as Raw Dogger did against me. I will certainly give it another go, I think it can be a really powerful tournament list for Orks and, it plays very fast, too as there are so few models on the table!
- See more at: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/07/12/tried-the-ork-battlewagon-blitz-brigade-formation/#sthash.zW5UXF5z.dpuf

Last edited by Hinkel on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinkel Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Waagh Ghazghkull Contains Quite a Few Formations

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2014/06/waagh-ghazghkull-contains-quite-few.html

Waaagh! Ghazghkull comes out this coming weekend, and already we are seeing that along with some army rules, warlord traits, and new items, there are lots of new formations that are a part of it. Here are some early reports on what is in the new Ork codex supplement.

Please remember that until we have the release in hand, these must all be considered rumors.

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
I just wanted to let you know that I was recently sent a (somewhat badly) photographed version of Waagh Ghazgul and have had a chance to look it over. It offers a lot of expansion to the Ork Codex, and (like the three tyrannid dataslates) the various formations takes the pressure off of some of the more crowded slots.

The green tide is there (as reported). There is also a dred mob, a battlewagon mob, the vulchaboyzz (this one is Zagstrukk and 3 units of stormboyz- which can combine to one super unit), a kommando formation (which is also great), and a super death star with Ghazgull, Grotsnik, 2 warbosses, 3 nobz and a big mek!

There are 7 formations:
Council of Waagh: this is the Gahz death star I mentioned- lots of crazy rules including getting two warlord traits...

Ghazguls Bully Boyz: Meganob formation- they get fear, fearless and +1WS

Vulcha Squad: Zag + 3 units of Stormboyz- can combine into one mega unit. Must start in reserve and scatter only d6. Hammer of wrath attacks have shred.

Blitz Brigade: Battlewagon formation- they get scout

Dread Mob: Which has a Big Mek in it, so it could technically be your primary detachment (and thus your army if you didn't want troops...)

Red Skull Kommando's: Snikrot + 4 Kommando units, Snikrot must join one of the units. Always start in reserve, with a single reserve roll for the whole formation. On the turn they arrive, the player choses which table edge they enter, and all must enter from it- no dice roll required. If they don't shoot on the turn they arrive, they re-roll cover saves for the turn. They also have shrouded instead of stealth on the turn they arrive.

Green Tide: similar to before

Look for Green Tide to be a great base for an army (maybe your whole army). Obviously,the Vulcha Squad could also be your warlord/primary detachment, but you would need some other detachment to start on the table...

Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

The Great Ork WAAAGHHH!!!!!! Discussions and Articles  Empty yes i have the supplement

Post  mouser04 Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:34 am

thrakka supplement  has it own chart like the  ork codex

but you can play 4 elites yup i said it 4 elite
FOC goes like this     2hq/4elites/9troops or was 8/3fast/3hvy/fort/lord of war
[please bare with me i am writing all this down at 1 in the morning]
i have found my list to play now
NOW KEEP IN MIND i did this list cheap style hardly no upgrades

3 painboys/3 bosspole[CHEEEEEEAP]
3/15 men TANKBUSTAS/3 nob/3 boss pole/3 big chop
troops
3/20 boys squad/3 nob/3 boss pole/3 big choppas/20 x3squad eavy arm/6 rok luanchas[2 to each squad

3hvy
2/gorkanauts/grot riggers
15 lootas
fast
1 dakkajet

1 painboy go into squad
of each

run the tankbustas so close behind the boys you can actually pick the sand fleas of their shoulders
so you can have support fire
have the gorky&morky also running beside them
and the lootas well let just say if u are out in the open just be prepare to get the john special magic treatment shooting[i shoot like marine but i hit like gretchin with a pair of rubberstik in his  hand in melee'

i play against alan sunday with this list for the first time i was able to win against him
i had alot of shooting and all were ap 2 strength 8 assualt wep[tankbusta but he did alot of damage to me as well
the FNP and the eavy armor what made this list shine for me surviveed longer
i also made this list to compensate to trade the painboys out to put in 3 big mek/KFF  if needed
mouser04
mouser04

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinkel Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:48 pm

made teh only Ork facebook community, and it is booming as well. so there are some good talks there as well about orks
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down