Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Advice for Thunder Wolves and Tournament Rules

+3
EmeraldWolf
CKO
Uktena
7 posters

Go down

Need Advice for Thunder Wolves and Tournament Rules Empty Need Advice for Thunder Wolves and Tournament Rules

Post  Uktena Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:12 pm

So I'm starting to think about creating some Thunderwolf Cavalry. Looking for some answers and advice:

How much of a model has to be GDW to be tournament legal?

And does anyone have suggestions on what models to use for thunderwolves and fenrisian wolves? So far this is what I have found but am looking for better ideas:

THunderwolf: Heroclix Hammer of Thor Fenris Wolf miniature, I think Marvel makes these and they are hard to find and sometimes expensive.

Fenris wolves: Reaper makes some nice wolf minis for about 10 bucks for a pair. They also have warg minis (bit expensive at 11 bucks a pop) but I'm not sure if they are big enough for a rider? Anyone know?

I've seen the warhammer fantasy dire wolves and they are butt ugly, I don't think they do justice for the noble fenrisian wolves.

Uktena
Uktena

http://astrachaoswolf.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Need Advice for Thunder Wolves and Tournament Rules Empty Re: Need Advice for Thunder Wolves and Tournament Rules

Post  CKO Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:06 pm

CKO
CKO

Back to top Go down

Need Advice for Thunder Wolves and Tournament Rules Empty Re: Need Advice for Thunder Wolves and Tournament Rules

Post  EmeraldWolf Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:26 pm

In my opinion the best way to go for making a thunderwolf mount is to take the Canis Wolfborn model and get as many as you plan to have, and modify the models. I have seen some awesome conversions done this way. Then your model is all GW! No worries. The only drawback is that this method is expensive...
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  HereticWolf Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:07 pm

vampire counts dire wolves make great mounts seen it on Ebay once. the wolves are only about 20$ on amazon. a little modification and your money on the legs for marines.
HereticWolf
HereticWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Uktena Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

The Canis Wolfborn model is nice and I'd like to have one and mod it to be a Canis/Wolflord (magnetize the model at the torso for both options maybe). But I think GW laid a clever trap in hopes we would buy many pricey Canis models to make thunderwolves.

Anyway, I think it will be more fun and rewarding (and cheaper!) to try at it using other models along with a good dab of green stuff thrown in for good measure. Just still looking at all the options before I jump in with both feet!
Uktena
Uktena

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Anyone having given the mournfang cavalry from the ogre kingdoms a thought for converting to thunderwolf cavalry?
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Uktena Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 am

I think I have found a winner for my thunderwolf cavalry. There are better models out there but you pay out the wazzoo for them.

I think these are great models for the price tag of $40 for 3. With the added bonus of having saddles with power armor legs already included in the kit! Downside is that the base is not 60mm, but easy fix (i hope).

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=paulson+games+wolf+pack&hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&biw=1360&bih=667&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=-IQ6IvhyP4MEVM:&imgrefurl=http://www.paulsongames.com/catalog/item/7434381/8690755.htm&docid=qNPNEuFdaB7tgM&w=640&h=278&ei=CcKTTrLEKuSEsgLfoZ3hBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=142&vpy=174&dur=3988&hovh=148&hovw=341&tx=202&ty=71&page=1&tbnh=80&tbnw=184&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Uktena
Uktena

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 am

Great looking models. If anyone complains about the base size, you have my permission to punch them in the nose!
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 am

If gw doesn't make a model is has to be converted. And with the rider being gw parts that's close to 50% maybe add some shhields or flair to make it more gw if you're really worried about it.
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:11 pm

I'm not to fond of those models, dont get me wrong they look good just not great. But ultimately they are your models and its your army do as u will Smile as long as ur satisfied with them.
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:20 am

Paulsongames.com , MrDandy.com, and Mythicast.com sells Thunderwolf mounts. Mythicast also sells regular wolves to go with the mounts. Mythicast also sells Wolven models. They look pretty neat to throw in to be a mark of the Wolven model.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 am

I suggest you ditch the space puppies and start an Ork army.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down