Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Eldar tactica.. Total codex review

4 posters

Go down

Dark Eldar tactica.. Total codex review Empty Dark Eldar tactica.. Total codex review

Post  Man-of-War Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Ok this will be my first ever Tactica ever written.. Just thought I'd try to get the ball rolling... I have a photographic memory when it comes to my hobby. Something I've learned from playing Magic: The Gathering in the past. So most of this is coming from memory or experience, but in the end its our choice that makes or breaks the list we make and as always have fun while gaming. So since I gotten that off my chest... Here we go and lets start with the strengths and weaknesses of Dark Eldar.

Strengths:
Speed is one of their greatest strength. They have the ability to spread their forces out and make a sudden refused flank on turn 1 by pulling all their forces on one side of the tabletop. This leaves most armies that aren't fast pretty much having to reposition themselves for the next few turns. The same Speed allows us Dark Eldar players with the ability to pick and choose our fights really easy. It keeps your opponent on their heels for most of the game. Also that High Initiative of ours lets us usually get the jump on enemy units and hit them first.

Dark lance weaponry really hurts vehicles and the army lets you field many lances. I myself usually have around 16 lances at least in my armylists.

Splinter weaponry always wounds on 4 plus. Pretty much the bane of monstrous creatures everywhere.

Fleet army wide except for the hormonculi units....

Night Vision army wide because we dwell in the shadows and love nightfighting....

Also power from pain which I'll explain in the next post....

Weaknesses:
This is where I say....... Just hit us in anyway you can. Most the vehicles armor is 10 so it's like paper to most armies. Thus our motto is "Strike from around Cover" otherwise get our glass jaw broken. lol

Ok so far so good.... Now for the Codex part of it starting with Character HQs part 1 for now the first 4 and stop there. If people start reading and liking what I'm talking about I'll put another up. As I've said before I would suggest my opinion on the character after I go over the profile, but after that the choice is really yours as the player on how to field the character if at all. Also for all those that don't play Dark Eldar hope this gives you incite on how to play against these characters to bring them down when you face them.

Characters part 1

Alrighty then I think we should start with the characters and work our way through the codex. Lets start it off by my personal favorite Lord Vect.

Vect clocks in at the same points cost as Ragnar Blackmane for Space wolves at 240 points.
Like all Dark eldar his str and toughness is 3, fleet, night vision, power from pain. He is Fearless has ghostplate armor which is 4+ and 6++. Also Shadow field which is a 2++ until you roll a 1. Has Haywire Grenades which glance a vehicle on 2-5 and pin 6. Scepter of the Dark City which is a powerweapon that wounds on 3+. Also has Obsidian Orbs which is a blast weapon str 10 ap 3 but rolls against leadership, the wounds you cause heals him for that many. Steals the initiative on 4+. Preferred enemy all which on most things he will hit on 3 in assaults with a I8 WS 8. He also gets to reroll wounds against Dark Eldar and Eldar enemies.
Alot of people online says he's expensive, but I like using him. Actually used him to stand toe to toe with mephiston and killed him pretty easy. He's also something your opponent can't ignore.

Ok now I come to Lady Malys. Lady Malys has the same basic stats as a regular archon. 7 on ws, bs, and I. Str and toughness 3, 3 wounds, 3 attacks, and a 5+. At 130 points she's one of the cheapest Characters in the codex. You look at her gear and some of it is special. The lady's blade is a Djinn blade which is a power weapon that grants the bearer 2 extra bonus attacks these must be rolled separate cause if you roll doubles the attacks miss and no more 2 extra bonus attacks. Next is here Crystal Heart which makes her and her unit immune to psychic attacks. Then her special abilities is a dodge cause she has the ability of foresite which is a 4++ and the other foresite ability lets you redeploy d3 units.
She comes in handy from time to time. I've used her to surprise the opponent before deploying a certain way and turning around getting lucky on the d3 to redeploy 3 units for a refused flank. I have to admit she is pretty cheap for what she does. ok moving on.

Drazhar master of blades is at 230 points. His stats are like your basic archon with the exception of the Str and toughness which is 4, armor of 2+, and 4 attacks. Eternal warrior makes this guy pretty tough and the incubi he leads become fearless just like the old Phoenix Lords for Eldar and he has the Klaivex powers murderous assault which lets him have preferred enemy against a Independant character, Onslaught is the other power which on a 6 to hit for him and his squad makes them gain another attack rolled immediately. His weapons the Demiklaives lets you choose either +2 to either str or attacks. His darting strike ability lets him kinda have that emperors champion feel to him that he has to close with the enemies hero and kill him. On a 6 to his armor save he makes another attack at his base str. So that is the Phoenix Lord of the Incubi.... The lack of a Inv save makes him vulnerable to manythings, but he seems to make terminators cringe if he ever gets in close combat with them. That is actually what I've used him against....

Ok now we are at the Queen of the Gladiator arena herself Lelith Hesperax at 175 points. She is as lovely as she is deadly with her daggers that are powerweapons thanks to her always knowing where the soft joints in armor is. Her hair is a shardnet and impailer which makes anymodel in base with her -1 to attacks to a min of 1. She has basic wych armor of 6+, but her uncanny ability to dodge things grants her a 3++ in combat, 4++ out of combat. She is supremely gifted in WS department with a whopping 9 there. That helps her league apart ability where say she's going against a regular tactical marines with WS 4. She'll have 5 bonus attacks for a total of 11 on the charge. Sounds pretty scary, but at str 3 she'll be wounding on 5+ which isn't all that great. Mainly I've used her leading a squad of Wyches with 2 sharnet/impalers for a tarpit unit coming from a portal.. . . Love the look of the model... But my tastes are elsewhere..

Thankyou for your time and patience in reading this article part 1 of the characters for Dark Eldar. Remember the basics with them use your speed and always protect that glass jaw. Kill them before they kill you and fight unfairly with overwhelming numbers at the right time that is the Dark Eldar way.

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 am; edited 5 times in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar tactica.. Total codex review Empty Re: Dark Eldar tactica.. Total codex review

Post  thecapn226 Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:25 pm

Good article. Keep em coming
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar tactica.. Total codex review Empty Re: Dark Eldar tactica.. Total codex review

Post  Man-of-War Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:33 pm

Ok for those of you that read my first article on Characters part 1 which I appreciate. This article will be covering the other 4 characters in the Dark Eldar Codex and plus my opinion as a dark eldar player on them. Like I said before it's the player that makes the list and the choices he makes that causes the outcome in tactics and always have fun in playing the game.

Let me explain power from pain... Each time you kill a whole infantry/monstrous creature unit you gain a token.
1 token feel no pain
2 is feel no pain, Furious Charge
3 is feel no pain, furious charge, and fearless

Also let me explain combat drugs you roll a d6 at the start of the game
1.... You get three dice and pick the highest when running in the shooting phase
2.... plus 1 ws
3.... plus 1 str
4.... affected units get to reroll failed to wound rolls
5.... gain plus 1 attack
6.... gain a pain token

I had to explain both of these so you can get the just of these first two characters of this article.

Urien Rakarth is the head Hormonculi in the codex clocking in at 190 points. His stats are the same as a Hormonculi Ancient with 5 on ws, bs, and I. He has a boost in toughness compaired to an Ancient with toughness 5. Hormonculi and their experiments are the only thing in the codex that doesn't have fleet, but still has power from pain and Nightvision. His gear is a standard close combat weapon, Ichor gauntlet which is a 3+ poisoned weapon that causes instant death on a wound, Casket of Flensing which is a 1 of the arcane wargear in the codex which is str and ap d6, assault 2d6, 1 shot, 12 inch weapon. In the GW faq you cannot have another casket of flensing after this one as your only allowed 1 per armylist so anyone running two like I seen some others doing in the store is not allowed. Clone field allows in close combat to ignore d3 wounds directed towards him which makes him all the more durable. Now onto his special abilities in the meld flesh he reknits himself for a single wound a turn which can't exceed his maximum number of wounds. This just adds to his durability. Father of pain ability lets him give d3 units of either wracks or grotesques a pain token. Which he already starts with a pain token himself for feel no pain which helps him out alot. Finally he moves the Organization chart around making wracks troops and at 5 points a model modifying the grotesques with 1 extra strength. I find him to be a very durable character in the codex... Slow which isn't my style but durable.

Ok next guy is Duke Sliscus the Serpent which weighs in at 150 points which makes him a pretty cheap character. He has the stats of a regular archon with a downgrade to ws, bs, and I to 6 and his wounds to 2 which is pretty strange... Maybe GW thought that he'd be too overpowered when his abilities kick in. Looking at his Gear he has a blast pistol which is a 12 inch lance pistol, Shadow field which is a 2++ until you roll a 1, the backup is ghostplate armor 4+/6++. Has combat drugs which you roll each game for what happens and what the trend is. Has assault grenades and serpents bite which is 2 wicked looking swords which wound on 2+ poisoned, but on a 5+ counts as a power weapon. His special abilities are fleet, pow of pain, night vision like all dark eldar do. His first unique ability is serpents venom which makes all splinter weapons of his warriors or trueborn wound on 3 plus to represent the poison collection he carries. Contraband lets you roll 2d6 on the drugs and pick the one you like which is good when using alot of units that use combat drugs like wyches, reavers, hellions, other DIY archons. His last ability is orbital raid which makes all venoms, raiders, and ravagers have the ability to deepstrike. Usually you have to pay points for that so that alone makes him worth the points if you want to deepstrike many units. I think he's useful in his own way. I've slayed a couple of monstrous creatures before with him going against Bugs. Pretty fun with the contraband he carries and the surprise factor to your opponent.

Now my least favorite character in the codex... Kheradruakh, the decapitator at 140 points. He's your mandrake unique character for the codex. Armed with the decapitator weapon which is power weapon on a 6 is instant death.. Has dark eldar standard abilities. His str 5 toughness 3 body is kinda squishy. With only a 5 plus inv to save him he's not all that survivable at all. Has stealth, move through cover, altered physique which gives him a pain token. Also has an ability that he shows up more than 1 away from enemy. Makes him be a surprise shooter cause he cannot assault after doing so. Baleblast is a str and ap 4 assault 2 pinning weapon.... My opinion on him is I don't really like him at all. He doesn't really give you anything really other than the surprise pinning weapon. Kind of a waste to me.

Last of the characters is Baron Sathonyx at 105 points makes him the cheapest character in the codex. Has the same stats as the Duke with a 5+ armor save instead of 4. He is the hellion character which is jump infantry and has a shadowfield 2++ until you roll a 1, hellglaive which makes him str 4 in combat. Also has plasma grenades. His skyboard adds 2 more to his str in combat so in all str 6 on a charge. Bones of the seer lets you get a plus 1 to the roll to see who deploys/goes first. Twilight shroud gives him and his unit stealth. Like all hellions he has Fleet, night vision, power from pain, and hit and run. He also has his own unique ability of master of the skies he and his squad gets to rerolls on dangerous terrain tests, the initiative tests on hit and run, and how far they move away roll for hit and run. This character makes for a really good ambush unit from stealth in cover and he has assault grenades so leaping out from cover to hit a unit. They don't have power weapons, but against something that they overwhelm they will come out on top. I've used him before and he and his squad having 18 range poisoned 4 plus weapons are lethal to anything with wounds.

Ok that's it for the Characters.... Again thankyou for your time and patience during this article. For Dark Eldar players hope this helps a bit and remember to protect the glass jaw. For the others hope this gives you incite on the last few characters in the codex. I'll be doing more articles as we progress throughout the month.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Now for the 3rd part of this ongoing Dark Eldar tactica I'll cover the weaponry upgrades and vehicle upgrades before going too far. Keep in mind these are upgrades if the unit comes standard with it I won't cover it until later on in the unit reviews.

Melee Weapons
Start off with the agonizer which is a power weapon that wounds on 4+ reguardless of toughness. This is extremely good against monstrous creatures, but toughness 3 guys will laugh at you. Will cover more in unit descriptions later.

Next is Demiklaives which is only for the Klaivex of the incubi squad. The Klaives are power weapons that either add 2 to attacks or strength your choice so some flexibility there.

Djin Blade is a power weapon that gives 2 bonus attacks these are rolled seperately and if doubles rolled to hit then the 2 hits are resolved against the controlling character as the weapon rebells against the owner. Kind of risky if you ask me.

Electrocorrosive Whip is a power weapon that if a model is wounded by it then that model halfs the strength for that assault. Coming from a higher initiative character against a good choppy character that maybe good, but it's a risk cause alot of Dark Eldar are strength 3.

Haywire grenades are what usually my list is all about. With them roll to hit and then after that 2-5 is glance 6 is pin. Simple and imperial guard or tau gunline will hate you if you rush his lines with these on your models.

Huskblade is a power weapon that inflicts instant death. Hqs are the only ones that can get this weapon.

Mindphase Gauntlet is a close combat weapon that if a wound is taken from it then a leadership and strength test is taken for the independant character or monstrous creature. If either test is failed then the character or creature cannot attack this assault.

Phantasm Grenade Launcher makes the model that has them and the squad it's with as having assault and defensive grenades. Usually a squad leader upgrade.

Razorflails counts as 2 close combat weapon that rerolls hits and wounds. Wych upgrade

Shardnet and Impaler counts as 2 close combat weapons that if the model with them is in base with an enemy model. That enemy model fights with 1 less attack to a minimum of 1.

Venomblade is a poisoned weapon that wounds on 2+. Pretty descent.

Ranged Weapons

Disintegrator Cannon is a 36 inch range, strength 5, ap 2, Heavy 3 weapon. Really killy vs infantry.. Makes terminators and elite assault units cringe if you fire it at them.

Darklight weapons are in three flavors and all are same strength of 8, ap 2, and lance weapons. Dark lance is 36 inch range and Heavy 1, Blaster is 18 inch range and assault 1, Blast pistol is 12 inch and pistol weapon.

Haywire Blaster is a 24 range, strength 4, ap 4, assault 1 weapon. Every hit is like a haywire grenade to a vehicle... See above.

Heatlance is 18 range, strength 6, ap 1, assault 1, lance, and melta weapon. Really killy vs vehicles, but you'll have to get close to 9 inches which is rapid fire range for most other enemy units.

Shredder is a 12 range, strength 6, ap -, assault 1, blast weapon. Kinda good against hordes, but may miss a bunch though from my luck with the scatterdice.

Splinter weapons come in 4 flavors. All are strength X weapons that are poisoned 4+, and ap 5. Splinter cannon is 36 range, assault 4 or Heavy 6, Shardcarbine is 18 range and assault 3, Splinter Rifle is 24 range and rapidfire, Splinter pistol is 12 range and pistol. This with a torrent of fire gameplan will force so many saves on even the Astartes won't be safe from the poison.

That's it for Ranged/melee weapons that's for regular Dark Eldar. Now onto arcane Wargear which most of this stuff is for the Hormonculi coven type units and hqs. You can have only 1 in the army if a * is by the name.

Arcane Wargear

Archangel of Pain* is a one shot ability that is used instead of shooting for the hormonculi every enemy unit within 3d6 of him must pass a Ld test or have their WS and Iniative reduced to 1. Kind of good, but not really worth it cause most people can make the unit pass the morale check with ease.

Animus Vitae* is a close combat weapon for the Hormonculi that if he kills a ememy model that's including vehicles he makes a Ld test. If passed he gains a pain token.

Casket of Flensing* is a one shot ranged weapon with a range of 12, strength of d6, ap d6, and assault 2d6 weapon. Good against hordes I would think and other infantry, but not really that interesting.

Crucible of Malediction* is a one shot abiltiy that instead of shooting is used. Every enemy psyker within 3d6 takes Ld test or be removed from play without any saves. The only thing I can say is Grey Knights beware about this even though it would be a suicide unit carring this.

Dark Gate* is a one shot weapon that's 12 range, strength 10, ap -, assault 1, Large Blast weapon. Good against horde, but who really would take this cause you could hit yourself as much as the enemy with this.

Flesh Gauntlet is a close combat poisoned 4+ weapon that if the model takes a wound from it. It's instant death for it. Pretty good against characters I suppose and possibly monstrous creatures.

Hex Rifle is a assault 1, sniper weapons, ap 4, 36 range weapon that if a model is wounded has to take a test on wounds it has on the profile not currently has if failed it's removed without saves.

Liquifier Gun is a like a flame thrower with strength 4, template, and assault 1, but the ap is d6 instead. So there is a chance it will ignore all armor on marines... Pretty useful. hormonculi can have it, wracks can, so it can be spammed.

Orb of Despair* is a one shot ranged weapon with a 6 range, strength 10, ap 1, assault 1, blast. It's not a great weapon at all. Again you could hurt yourself alot more then the enemy with this....

Scissorhand is a poisoned 3+ weapon that gains the bearer plus 2 additional close combat attacks for having close combat weapons. Pretty good reliable combat weapon.

Shattershard* is a template weapon 1 shot without a strength or ap. Any non vehicle model hit by it must take a toughness test. If failed removed without saves. Pretty good I wish it can be spammed, but like most everything else in this section it can't be.

Stinger pistol is a 12 range poisoned 2+, ap 5, pistol weapon. Not really impressive from what I see.

Thus ends the arcane wargear... Some are plane weird on that. Now for other equipment like armor and other abilites... again if they come standard with it I won't cover it here.

Clone Field is an ability that which characters can have as an upgrade, but can't be stacked with shadowfield.... Clone field is a close combat shield making it so you ignore d3 wounds to your character... Impressive I'd say.

Ghostplate armor is the best upgradable armor for characters other than hormonculi and succubus. Giving a 4+/6++ to the character.

Shadow Field is a 2++ save until you roll a 1 in that case it breaks and never used again for rest of game. These rolls must be taken 1 at a time... For those of you with one shot weapons know. You roll 1s more rolling 1 dice than rolling many. At least thats what happens to me. Makes the archon really suvivable in closecombat.

Soultrap is for when the bearer kills an independant character or monstrous creature take a Ld test. Test is passed which it should be double your strength for rest of game to a max of 10. So 2 creatures in a row str 10. Really good in conjunction with Huskblade for instant death.

Vexator Mask makes it to where the opponent model in base with the bearer of this must take a Ld test before attacking, If failed can't attack the bearer but can attack others in its unit. Not really all that great from what I found.

Webway Portal is something that a character upgraded with it can drop it. It's the size of a small blast template or something of same size. From that point on in the game anything the Dark Eldar player has in reserve can arrive from the edge of this point. The portal is impassible terrain and can't be destroyed. After the bearer places it then it can move away like normal if wanting to. There are actually lists based on this that I've made before that's actually pretty good.

That's it for upgrades on infantry now onto vehicles....

Vehicle Upgrades

Chain snares makes it to where if the vehicle passes over in the movement phase an infantry unit. That unit takes 1 plus d3 strength 4 hits. I never really have the points for this... Why would you want it since there is a unit dedicated to doing this in fast attack slot?

Enhanced Aethersails lets the vehicle move an additional 2d6 and the units if any inside won't be able to disembark.... I wouldn't take this cause to me a waste of points.

Envenomed Blades is for every enemy to hit the vehicle on a 1 in close combat they take a strength 4 hit and it's like being shot at... I can't see the use of this one either... Never really take this myself, but if you want to knock yourself out.

Flicker Field is a 5++ save on your vehicle? Yes please.. This one upgrade is the best 10 points i've ever spent on vehicles period. It's nothing like rolling a 5 or 6 against something that will kill your vehicles.

Grisly trophies makes all Friendlies within 6 get to reroll Ld tests... I never really use this, but it could come in handy from time to time I'd think.

Nightshields for 10 points subtracts 6 from the maximum weapons distance. Making most 24 inch rapidfire weapons be 18 which can make a difference whenever your floating around in cardboard boxes.

Torment Grenade Launchers makes enemy models within 6 of vehicle -1 to their Ld. Could be useful in a way, but most of the time if your that close either your being beat on or your giving a beating... I wouldn't take it.

Retrofire Jets give your skimmers the ability to deepstrike... I wouldn't pay for it when you just take Duke sliscus and you get it free...

Shock Prow makes the front armor on the vehicle be d3 higher than normal when tank shocking... I never really do that cause you can kill yourself tankshocking someone.

Splinter Racks make the splinter pistols or splinter rifles be twinlinked while embarked on the vehicle. Makes for pretty good drive by shooting unit with warriors... I never use it now, but I used to.

Thus is the end of the Wargear for Dark Eldar. Remember in the end it's your choice for the upgrades.. If you want to take it then take it. Hope this gives some people ideas on what Dark Eldar can do. For Dark Eldar people hope this helps clearify some things. Until next time "Happy Killin Everyone".

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  AArdvark085 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 pm

Great article do you mind if I use it on my blog?
AArdvark085
AArdvark085
Admin

http://www.19thlegion.com/Blog/

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 pm

I don't mind I'll be adding to it as I get time.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Ok for my next trick I will pull more info out of my mind in the form of generic HQs choices of Dark Eldar.... Remembering from previous post it's the choices you make for the list that makes and breaks it and have fun above all. Now for Generic HQs.... I listed what each of the upgrade wargear does up above before this post.

Starting with Archon he has a basic gaurdsmen strength and toughness, but WS, BS, and Initiative of 7. With 3 wounds and 4 attacks base you'll probably see him as a super fast assassin character at 60 points base. His choices in weaponry varies from Venomblades, Blast pistol, Power weapon, Blaster, Agoniser, Electrocorrosive whip, and Husk blade, but that's just his weaponry he can choose from. The other wargear is Haywire Grenades, Ghostplate Armor, Combat Drugs, Soul-trap, Djin blade, Clone Field, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Shadow Field, and webway portal.
Now you might be saying that's alot of choices, but there are some that's essential for the archons survival such as shadow field giving him a 2 plus inv save isn't bad at all for 30 points. Usually this is where I choose combat drugs, huskblade, haywire grenades, and soultrap to make him an uber killy character hunter, but that's my choice lol. Kill enough monstrous creatures and characters and he'll be str 10 in no time flat.

But an archon has to have someone to join him and this codex calls that the court of the archon.. I never really used them before because I've always waited for the models you have to have at least one of each in the squad it requires that, but they consist of Lhamaeans (10 points limited to 2 max in squad) which are your personal poison carriers making the archons weapon and hers wound on 2+ which I think negates power weapon abilities. Medusae (15 points also limited to 2 max in squad) is a unique flamer weapon template carrier for the court str d6+1 and ap of d6 what's not to like. Urghuls (15 points and limited to 5 max) are the personal pets for the archon with the str stat of a marine and with furious charge and feel no pain standard is ok I guess. Sslyth (35 points and limited to 3 max in squad) are the personal bodyguards/hired guns of the archon. Bosting stats that look along the lines of imperial guard ogryn I can't imagine why. They have 4 arms, which is armed with a sword, splinter pistol, and splinter carbine which is really impressive to me. They have feel no pain too which they will be able to shrug off krak missiles that the imperium usually uses. Overall their great just wish that the Lhamaean you didn't have to take. Why negate the powerweapons ability to pierce armor.....

Ok now the Succubus or the head wych in charge or the poormans archon for 65 points you get stats like an archon with 1 less BS and 1 higher WS and Initiative to 8. She can choose between either of the 3 wych upgrades they can have that I will cover later on in the elites section of this article. Also can choose between a power weapon, venom blade, agoniser, electrocorrosive whip, blast pistol, and haywire grenades... From my experience I've completely avoided this part simply because she is too limited on choices in wargear. The archon surpasses her in this aspect ever though she has impressive stats and a 4 plus inv save in close combat like wyches do.

Now to the Hormonculi these are the only ones that can take arcane wargear... You can have 3 per hq slot so 6 total if you wanted to go nuts with them. I sense the space wolves getting a little jealous there lol. The regular Hormonculus for 50 points has marine stats except for str of 3, 2 wounds, 2 attacks, and a 6+ save. 1 of the 3 can be an ancient for 30 more points which this one gains 1 to ws, bs, wounds, attack, and Ld characteristics, but what makes Hormonculus good... Well for starters unlocks Wracks as troops choice, Comes with a pain token as standard. Pretty impressive so far. Now to the wargear he has Venomblade, stinger pistol, power weapon, mindphase gauntlet, Flesh gauntlet, Agoniser, Electrocorrosive whip, and the all mighty Huskblade. Where all these items are well and good I think it'll be mostly the other things he can get that you'll want him for. He's limited to 2 for this list starting with Animus Vitae, Casket of Flensing, Liquifier gun, Soul-trap, Vexator mask, Scissorhand, Archangel of pain, Hexrifle, Shattershard, Crucible of Malediction, Orb of Despair, Dark Gate, and Webway portal. To be honest they are awesome support characters in general so your choices should be to that account. Like liquifier gun to spam everywhere is really nice. Also is the main character to take a webway portal so that the talos experiments can come in to kill straight out of the portal. The choices are endless for the Hormonculi coven list.

Ok in closing of this part of the article... I thank people for their time in reading this... Please excuse the mispellings if any. I try to proof read this as I go. For Dark Eldar players everywhere I hope this helps. For my enemies I hope this informs you on either what you just got hit by or how to hit us.... I don't care as long as my ultimate goal is accomplished. *Evil Laugh*.... Oh yeah and please new Dark Eldar avoid Slaanesh (She who thirsts) and don't let psyker friends in Commorragh...

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Hello all again and welcome to this next installment of the Dark Eldar codex tactica for the Elites section. If your a new player playing Dark Eldar welcome... If not welcome anyways. Hope this enlighten people and help them choose Dark Eldar as a race.

First of the Elites are our Incubi squads 22 points each limited 3-10 in a group.. for ws and initiative of 5, Bs 4, str and toughness of 3, 1 w a piece, and 2 attacks a piece with Ld 8. They are the only models in our codex that are power armored 3+ save their weapons are 2 handed power weapons that increase their str by 1. Klaivex is the squad leader upgrade for 15 more points for a boost of 1 point to ws, bs, I, attack, and Ld. That's not the only reason to take a Klaivex. He has access to Demiklaves which is described above, Bloodstone is a flamer template str 3, ap 3, assault weapon. It's reasonable, but kinda a waste of points to me. Murderous Assault lets the Klaivex nominate a IC in combat with the squad. He gains preferred enemy against the IC. Onslaught is an ability for the Klaivex and his squad that whenever they're in assaults for every 6 to hit they immediately gain a bonus attack these can't generate more bonus attacks. This is your MEQ(Marine Equivalent) Killers. Use them as such. I don't really use them myself, but I can see the use for these guys in a Marine heavy environment.

Next is Grotesques are 35 points each that are limited from 3-10 models in a group. Their stats are ws4, bs1, str5, t5, w3, I4, A3, Ld3, 6+ save. Only have 1 closecombat poinsoned 4+ weapon each too. Comes with an altered genetics to give them a pain token for feel no pain. 1 out of the group can exchange that weapon for a liquifier gun for 10 points. Another can be upgraded to a Aberration for 10 points which ups the A and Ld stats by 1 each and gives him access to these options to take a venomblade, Mindphase Gauntlet, Scissorhand, and Flesh Gauntlet. Before I go farthur understand that if you don't put a hormonculi with this squad then they may go bezerk and do 2d6 str 5 hits to every unit with 2d6 friend or foe if you roll a 1 on your roll to go bezerk check... To avoid this headache do as I said and attach something to it lol otherwise they'll just go nuts on ya. Use a full 10 man squad coming out of a WWP(Webway portal) for a nasty surprise to your enemy. Especially when you drop 2-4 WWP on the tabletop.

Wracks are marine equivalent with the only difference being a str of 3 and a 6+ save. Hormonculi makes these guys troops. it's 100 points for 10... Can have 3-10 in a squad. Also comes with a pain token for feel no pain and 2 close combat poisoned 4+ weapons. Attach a hormonculi and they'll have furious charge also, but that's besides the point. For every 5 in a squad 1 can exchange a close combat weapon for a liquifier gun. Another can be upgraded to a Acothyst for 10 points which makes him have plus 1 to Ld to 9 and Attacks to 2. He has access to stingerpistol, venom blade, mindphase gauntlet, hexrifle, scissorhand, flesh gauntlet, agoniser, and electrocorrosive whip. Alot of Hormonculi lists spam liquifier guns and you can see why.

Mandrakes are 15 points a model for ws, bs, and str of 4, toughness 3, w1, I5, 2 attacks, and leadership of 8. Can upgrade 1 to a Nightfiend for 10 points.... Has infiltrate, Move through cover, Stealth, only a 5 plus Inv save, and Baleblast which is a assault 2, str 4, ap 4, pinning weapon that they can only have access to through a pain token which they don't start out with. They aren't really impressive at all in my eyes, but from what I believe they made this squad for 6th edition that'll be coming up soon. From the rumors if you have stealth you can possibly disappear.... Pretty neat there.

Harlequins.. Each are 18 points a model for 5, bs4, str and toughness of 3, 1w, I6, 2 attacks, and Ld 9. All the upgraded characters in this unit has the same stats save the troupe master which has plus 1 to attacks and Ld. Any can be upgraded for a Harlequin's Kiss to give rending to a model. Only two can upgrade to have fusion pistols which are blood angels infernis pistols for eldar. One of the squad can be upgraded to a death jester taking the shrieker cannon which is 24 range, str 6, ap 5, assault 3, and pinning weapon. One can be upgraded to a shadowseer which has the veil of tears ability making your opponent test on 2d6 and double it to see them. If it doesn't reach then they can't shoot at them. 1 can also be upgraded to a troupemaster which can exchange his closecombat weapon with a powerweapon or a kiss for free.. Yes for you that are our Craftworld cousins know all about these. Wicked fast ignores terrain slowing affects cause of flipbelts and has a 5+ inv save. Shadowseer is kinda manditory for the squad for survivability. With most dark eldar units in this codex they have fleet so can jump across the board pretty quickly to get to grips with the enemy. I've used them before and they are pretty good, but only my second favorite due to me liking wyches more.

Kabalite Trueborn are like the warriors in having ws and bs 4, str and t 3, 1 wound, I5... except they have 1 more attack at 2 and Ld of 9 for 12 points base a model. They both have a 5+ save. They have access to all types of goodies. Can exchange splinter rifle for a splinter pistol/CCW free, or for a shardcarbine. Up to 4 can have a shredder for infantry or Blaster for anti tank busting power. Up to 2 can have a splinter cannon for infantry busting or dark lance for tank busting. They have access to plasma grenades and haywire grenades too that you'll have to pay for. 1 in the squad can be upgraded to a Dracon which just increases the attack by 1 for 5 points. Can have ghostplate armor, phantasm grenade launcher. Blast pistol is another option for more tank busting. Can take a Venom blade, power weapon, or Agoniser as well. So all and all they are the spec ops for dark eldar. If you need it done these guys can do it. I personally take 4 with blasters in a venom for extra tank busting power on the table.

Hekatrix Bloodbrides are 13 points a model which these women like your elite wyches which they have combat drugs, plasma grenades. I6, ws/bs 4, s/t 3, 2 attacks base with Ld of 9. Up to 3 can have razorflails, shardnet/impaler, hydra gauntlets(Gives +d6 bonus for the charge instead of 1 like normal), Haywire grenades. 1 can be a syren for 10 points for an added 1 to attack. Like all wyches this squad has a 4 plus inv save in close quarters. The syren can take a blast pistol, phantasm grenade launcher, can also choose between a venom blade, power weapon, and agoniser for weapons since she is a squad leader of course. I don't personally use my wyches as them... Usually use my elites slot for trueborn to be honest, but if you like wyches go for them.

If you have problems on the points cost of weaponry on stuff you can get a codex or PM me so I can tell you, or I'll edit this later with the points. Thus concludes the elite section of the codex: Dark Eldar. Thankyou for your time and patience in reading this article and as always have fun in playing the game. For Dark Eldar players out there play smart and protect yourself everything can kill you... lol.. Until next time this is the Lord Vects number 1 personal guard saying good bye.

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Ok now for the only two troops choices and dedicated transports that us dark eldar have without taking a special HQ to unlock them...

Kabalite warriors are the same stats as trueborn above but with 1 attack each and Ld of 8. They are limited to 5-20 in a squad at 9 points a model. Comes standard with a splinter rifle. 1 model in the group can take either a shredder that adds to infantry killing that the squad can do or a blaster for the much needed tankbusting power. For every ten models in the squad 1 can choose a splinter cannon for more infantry killing or a dark lance for anti-tank. 1 can be upgraded to a sybarite for 10 points which will be the squad leader gives bonus 1 attack and 1 Ld to stats. He can take ghostplate armor which I don't know why you'd want to kinda a waste of points. Phantasm grenade launcher is good if your assaulting into or out of cover. Can swap his splinter rifle for a pistol/combat weapon. From there he can take a blast pistol for added umph against tanks. Can take a venom blade, power weapon, or agoniser. This is where I'd take an agoniser for the squad leader make them 10 man in all and either do both the weapon add ons as either the tank weapons or both the infantry weapons. That way you give them a roll to play in your army.

Wyches are the next at 10 points a model for the same stats and abilities that the hekatrix bloodbrides have but with only 1 attack each and Ld 8. For every 5 models in the squad 1 wych can have a shardnet/impaler, hydra gauntlets, or razorflail. Haywire grenades come at 2 points per model for anti-tank power. One wych can be upgraded to a hekatrix for 10 points which has all the options that the warrior sybarite has above. Since these are the assault troops for dark eldar and can pull off the dreaded 1st turn assault that makes other assault armies jealous. That doesn't mean you have to do that 1st turn though. Give these women haywire grenades and squad leader with an agoniser and 2 shardnet/impalers in a ten man group and they become the excellent tarpit unit with the agoniser letting them win combat.

Raiders are what we ride around in 60 points for a 10 armor all around fast, skimmer opentopped, flying cardboard box that can carry 10 of our infantry. Comes standard with a darklance that can be swapped out for a disintegrator cannon for infantry killing. Can take any of the vehicle upgrades for dark eldar. Flickerfield makes them a little more survivable. Night shields helps also... Making them 80 points after that. Anything after that is kinda a waste of points in my eyes unless your doing splinter racks for your warriors to reroll to hit against a unit for doing driveby shooting.

Venoms are smaller than the raiders with a 5 infantry capacity. Still has 10 armor all round, fast, skimmer, opentopped. Comes standard with Splinter cannon and flickerfield at 55 points a model. Can add another splinter cannon to it for 36 range, heavy 12, 4+ poisoned weapons which they count as defensive weapons. Night shields I usually add on to this for extra protection vs rapidfire weapons. I use this as my trueborn tank killing squads to ride around in. They can pop the tank while the venom either shoots the occupants of it or shoots some other targets. Usually I use the trueborn to pop the transport for my wychs to assault the occupants of the transport.

Ok now in closing with this part of the article. I thankyou for your time and patience in reading this article. Dark Eldar players use these units wisely they are the backbone of the army after all. I usually don't worry about strategic point missions cause we don't have the staying power to hold opjectives. So I usually go for killing whatever I can then worry about objectives later cause we are glass after all.

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Now onto the Fast attack choices for use Dark Eldar players out there.

Hellions are 16 points a model with standard warrior stats 4 bs/ws, 3 str and toughness, initiative 6, 1 attack, leadership 8, and 5+ save. Limited from 5-20 models in group and their jump infantry. Combat drugs, hellglaive(plus 1 str, two handed close combat weapon), and skyboard which has 2 shot, 18 range, 4+ poisoned, ap 5 weapon onboard. Has hit and run along with the rest of what dark eldar come with standard (Fleet, night vision, power from pain.). 1 can be upgraded to a squad leader for 10 points for extra attack and leadership and to have access to phantasm grenade launcher for giving grenades to your squad. Also can take a venom blade, stunclaw, power weapon, or agoniser. In my experience with these I usually take the baron and unlock these as troops before using them. Also I thing it would be fun to give a stunclaw to a leader so that he can pull an Independant character out of the enemy squad after their hit and run happens. All and all I'm not really that impressed with them, but they do have potential.

Scourges are 22 points a model for the same stats as a warrior, but has ghostplate armor(4+/6++). Their jump infantry as well, limited from 3-10 in squad and have plenty of goodies to choose from for weaponry. Their standard weapons are shardcarbines, but for every 5 in a squad 2 can choose to swap for either Shredder, Splinter cannon, Haywire blaster, heat lance, Blaster, and Dark Lance. 1 can be upgraded to a squad leader for extra 1 to attack and leadership for 10 points. He can choose to take a splinter pistol and either close combat weapon, venom blade, power weapon, agoniser. Also can swap the pistol for a blast pistol. Mainly what I'd use these guys for is for hitting an enemy vehicle with haywire blasters to stun the vehicle until I can deal with it later. Dark Lances is a waste on these guys cause it's a heavy weapon. Most everything else is a viable choice for them to go either hunting for infantry or tanks.

Beast masters are 12 points a model for the same stats as a hellion. 1-5 in a group of them and the whole squad moves as a beast. For every 1 in the group you can add 0-5 khymerae 12 points a model (ws/str 4, toughness 3, Initiative 6, 3 attack, 4++ inv save, Leadership 5), 0-1 clawed fiend 40 points a model (ws/wounds/attack of 4, str/toughness/intitiative/Ld 5, 6+ save, Beastial fury which is he gets a bonus +1 to attack for every wound on him), 0-2 razorwing flocks (Ws 4, str/toughness of 3, wounds/initiative/attacks/Leadership of 5, 6+ armor save and attacks are rending). 1 beastmaster can replace close combat weapon for either a venom blade, power weapon, or agoniser. This is one of the best fast attack choices we have simply cause of how versatile it is. Most of the time you'd want plenty of Khymerae cause of the 4++ save which I make those more often then not. Rending from the flocks is good vs marines and the clawed fiend is good vs most anything else.. The only thing missing from this is vehicle killing, but the rest of the army can take care of that one I believe.

Last for the Fast attack choices is Reaver Jetbikes. ws/bs of 4, str of 3, toughness is 3(4) cause of riding a bike, Iniative 6, 1 attack each, Leadership 8, and 5+ save for 22 points a model. Limited 3-10 in a group. All have splinter pistols and close combat weapon, combat drugs, reaver jetbike (On turboboost can move 36 in a turn), and bladevanes(when they move over a squad d3, str 4, ap- hits per model in the squad when moving over enemy infantry). For every 3 models in squad 1 can upgrade to carry either a heat lance or blaster on his jetbike. Also 1 per three models can take grav-talon(Just like bladevanes except add pinning test) or cluster caltrops(just like bladevanes except it's D6, str 6, ap- hits to infantry). 1 can be upgraded to arena champ(squad leader with plus 1 to attack and Leadership) for 10 points. Can exchange his closecombat weapon for either a venom blade, power weapon, or agoniser. I've used these before in back when I started out with Dark Eldar and their fun when going against infantry footslogging armies and can surprise mech armies with the heatlance or blasters mounted on a couple of them out of the group.

This concludes the Fast attack choices for the Dark Eldar codex. For you Dark Eldar players out there remember to protect yourself the 40k universe can be a dangerous place for dark eldar players. If you learn to hide and strike from shadows nothing will stand before you.... Next and last of the codex I'll be posting will be Heavy support choices and how some are really under estimated by the enemy.

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Last post of this article will be the Heavy support for Dark Eldar....

The Classic Ravager is 105 points for a balllistics 4, 11 on front/side, 10 on rear, aerial assault means it can move 12 and shoot all weapons and it's opentopped. 3 Darklances will be what it has as standard. Any dark lance can be swapped for Disintegrator cannons at no charge for heavy infantry killing power. Also is open to be upgraded from any of the vehicle upgrades. This is pretty iconic to the Dark Eldar as a whole. It's solid, reliable either tank killing or infantry hunting. All around good choice for Heavy support. I usually equip mine with flickerfield and shadow shields for the extra survivability.

Talos pain engine is for you Hormonculi players. Monstrous creature with str/toughness of 7, bs/and wounds of 3, ws of 5, initiative 4, d6 attacks, Ld 10, and 3+ armor save is pretty good for 100 points also is fearless, move through cover, doesn't have fleet, and has random attacks represented by the d6 in the attack value of it. Can replace 1 close combat weapon with either twin linking liquifier gun, ichor injector(CCW that every unsaved wound the victim has to do a toughness test. If failed Instant Death reguardless of toughness of victim), Chain Flails(Roll 2d6 and pic highest for attack stat in profile). Can take an additional CCW after that. Can replace twin splinter cannon on tail with either a stinger pod(24 range, str 5, ap 5, assault 2 and blast), twinlinked haywire blaster, or twinlinked heat lance. Now this is a monstrous creature so it will be slow, but if you throw him in a web way portal list and have him coming through the portal he will be a nasty surprise for anything it's going against vehicle or infantry alike.

Cronos parasite engine is 80 points has 2 less attack and weapon skill than the talos other than that the same stats and abilities except has a set value of 2 on attacks. Has a spirit syphon(template weapon, str 4, ap 3, assault 1. If kills at least 1 enemy model you can give a friendly unit within 12 a pain token). Can take a spirit probe(in the assault phase if he kills 1 or more enemy models a friendly unit within 12 you can give a pain token) and spirit vortex(18 range, str 3, ap 3, assault 1 blast weapon with same ability as previous weapons of handing out pain token). This thing is pretty much the candyman for dark eldar. Handing out pain tokens like candy, but he is slow moving so a web way portal will help in this.

Razorwing Jetfighter is one of my favorite heavy supports for good reason. Has ballistics of 4 10 armor all round it and isn't opentopped a surprise there fast, skimmer. Comes standard with twinlinked splinter rifles, 2 wing mounted dark lances, 4 monoscythe missiles(48 range, str 6, ap 5, assault 1, Large Blast, 1 shot) for 145 points. aerial assault means it can move twelve and fire everything. Supersonic means when it goes flatout it's 36 inch movement. Night vision for this as well common for dark eldar units. Can swap out dark lances for disintegrator cannons. Can replace twin splinter rifles for a splinter cannon. Also can exchange the monoscythe missiles for either Necrotoxin missiles(48 inch, poisoned 2+, ap 5, assault 1, Large Blast, Pinning, 1 shot) or Shatterfield missiles(48 inch, str 7, ap-, assault 1, Large Blast, 1 shot, reroll wounds). Also can have flickerfield and nightshields upgrade. This is a great infantry killer. Able to pile wounds on the infantry squad to the point where it won't matter how many saves you make. It's a desent tank hunter with the dark lances it has too.

Void raven bomber is the only vehicle model not out for dark eldar. It's 145 points standard for ballistics 4, 11 front/side, 10 rear armor fast and skimmer. Has aerial assault and supersonic that razorwing has. Has 2 void lances(dark lances with plus 1 to str to a 9) and a void mine(blast weapon that is str 9, ap 2, lance 1 shot. Can drop it on something it passes over and doesn't count towards its shooting in a turn according to GW faq). Can take up to four missiles of either monoscythe, necrotoxin, shatterfield that I explained above, or Implosion missiles which is unique to the voidraven(48 range, ap 2, assault 1, 1 shot, blast, and any models hit by the missiles have to take a characteristics test on how many wounds it has on its profile. If failed it's instant death reguardless of toughness. Cover and inv saves can be taken against this. Doesn't effect vehicles.). Also can be upgraded with flickerfield and nightshields for extra protection. This flier is another of my favorites out of heavy support. Str 9 lances will be killing roughly any vehicle out there. The missiles are more expensive cause the voidraven doesn't come standard with missiles like the razorwing do. So point effectiveness has to go to the Razorwing on that.

This concludes the Dark Eldar Codex review/tactica/my opinion on it all. Thankyou for your time and patience in reading this whomever is reading this and for you dark eldar players out there now you know how to kill things properly so get out there.... For those that are my enemies I hope this enlightens you on how to take out anything in this codex or know what that gust of wind was that just hit you and left nothing... *Evil laugh*

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 am

Great article, confirms what I've been thinking. To bad about the Decapitator thought... I had really high hopes for him. I just have trouble fielding Ashdrubael, I don't want to use a dias, but I don't want him walking.

And they really nerfed the Crucible of Malediction in the faq against the Brotherhood of Psychers gray knights. I did wonder about using it, shatterfield, and Ash's orb against someone when near a raider with the -1 leadership addon..... Any thoughts?
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah I think the decapitator was a.... Shove in the codex cause we want to sell the model type thing lol. That would actually be good with the orb and raider with the torment grenade launcher. It's just my experience with small blasts I usually miss on scatter so I don't really use his orbs.... I usually field vect with wyches in a raider to be a hammer unit... The wyches are usually carried through the assault by his awesome hitting power.

I don't have a full Dark Eldar army as of yet, but I've proxied some for about a year since the codex came out. That's getting between 1-4 games a week with them in. Kinda waited until the fliers this summer came out to really collect them. A friend of mine dropped out of 40k and gave me his necrons so now I have a full necron army I'm working a little on before returning to the Dark Eldar that I enjoy and love.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:12 pm

My beef with the codex is that we (DE) are supposed to be the hit and run deepstrike army, but we don't have any special deepstrike rules. Even worse, retrofire jets, the major deepstrike option, are nerfed where you can't disembark (even if you wanted to), forcing you to take the Duke. Who in my opinion is pretty awesome.

Ah... you just gave me an idea. I didn't think you could field Ash in a raider, but I guess if you took the wyches, got a transport and attatched him that would work.

I guess you could put Ash, a haemy, and wyches for some real fun. Break off the haemy so you get your fleet and drive it around with the PGL's for the -1 leadership on others.... Only problem is if it explodes I and kills the wyches.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Most of the Dark Eldar characters are pretty awesome in their own way. The Duke is also good with the 2d6 on combat drugs and pic one. Yeah they have to do something with deepstrike...That's why john runs him with his dark eldar in the Dark Eldar tourney list he posted.

I Mean even marine armies with droppods the droppods have a droppod assault rule..... But when you deepstrike anything you can't assault from it..... Kinda sad with that.... So we aren't the only army out there that is affected by that rule lol.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down