Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

matt ward, master of cheez?

5 posters

Go down

matt ward, master of cheez? Empty matt ward, master of cheez?

Post  Despoiler Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:19 am

Just checked out the new necron codex, must say its a helluva lot better than the old one. Not a big fan of ward, but he does write a good codex. blood angels, grey knights, necrons, all seem pretty powerful. Why does that not trump the horrendous fluff? Read more hate about him and his crap fluff writing than praise for his uber codices. Does it seem to anyone else that the rest of the armies out there kinda pale in comparison? Or is it just easier to cheezball with his books?
Heck, I read the 4th ed chaos codex and hopefully they'll bring some of that back. I like chaos and all but it just doesn't seem viable compared to wolves, angels, and all the rest. GW doesn't need to hire someone that'll go full retard on chaos's next 'dex.(and no offense to the ACTUALLY mentally impaired, just GW writers)
I'd like to read other members rants or opinions if that's cool
Despoiler
Despoiler

Back to top Go down

matt ward, master of cheez? Empty Re: matt ward, master of cheez?

Post  Man-of-War Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 am

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/11/conflicts-in-authors-for-chaos-legions.html

I've read this article and majority of people thinks its going to be ward writing the chaos legions codex... but according to this ward said no on writing it. I guess we won't know who until the codex really gets close to come out. I hope they have something for Nightlords, Word bearers, alpha legion, Iron warriors *Looks at pat*. So everyone will get something new. This isn't really a rant more of wishlisting.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Here's my take on the whole thing

1-the codexes are balanced. Blood angels are killable still, as are grey knights because they are still marines. Necrons, have cool toys, but get them in combat or fail a LD test and they go away. The 13 armor is easy to deal with considering how many melta weapons most armies can take, and the ones that cant take melta, just get in CC with the vehicle and attack on rear armor.

2- Blood angels fluff is good, grey knights is over the top a little but if people are upset, then I guessed I missed the memo where science FANTASY stopped being FANTASY!!!! And then the necrons new fluff is a lot more colorful then "here is a group of people that were alive a long time ago, now they are just barely thinking machines angry at everything"

3- remember how powerful the Nid codex was when it came out? Or the Space Wolves? Or any codex that came out that had new stuff that made people rethink they're tactics. Yup, same stuff different year. (on a side note, remember how the old chaos codex was THE codex to have and could trump any other codex, lol)
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:10 pm

I think what most of what happens when fans hate ward is because he rearranges the fluff of a codex. Alot of fans can't accept that. Like I looked on this one site for the necrons and it was page after page on people saying the necrons got warded... You look at the rules though. Their good rules. It's just most die hard fans can't except change to background. Change happens every codex and background change evolves as GW wants it to. I'm pretty sure ward has to give whatever codex he does to a board of people to get their opinion on it. If they say trash it he has to... If they tell him to do it this way he has to and he has to adjust the background to fit it. I think in the new necron codex they gave them more of an identity that they never had before....

Last codex, "We are atomaton robots and will kill you for the c'tan to eat your soul."

This codex, "We are serving this dynasty and will do anything to restore it to power."

See the difference?..... I like the new stuff... The old was kinda boring in a way..... Was more like a copy of the tyranid codex(No offense to you bugs players out there) Just saying that was the tyranids roll as the great devourer on the 40k universe...

In the end though die hard fluff people can't except change.... Here I am sounding like a Sorceror of Tzeentch and that's your roll Despoiler after all you have the thousand sons.... Chaos will have its spotlight again and when it does nothing will stand in their way...
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:33 am

My death guard are picking at their scabs in anticipation Smile
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

matt ward, master of cheez? Empty heheh

Post  mouser04 Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:19 am

im waiting for it so i can actually play my chaos marine im just now getting mine painted for got 1/4 of my chaos marine painted so far
mouser04
mouser04

Back to top Go down

Post  fulange Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:27 am

as new material for any game releases (in this case codices) designers feel a need to scale things up a bit to encourage players to buy. Of course in this hobby we all know it as "codex creep." There are really only a few ways a designer can mitigate the damage that these creeps can cause. One is to cause a scale up in power one area to attack an overpowered element in another. a fine example of this is the availability of high str and low ap weapons to mitigate the prevelance of mechanized lists. Another thing a designer (or a team of designers) can do to mitigate creep is to provide hard reset points where the power is re-shuffled. This is obviously done with the release of every new edition.

now, on a more direct level, i feel as though the necrons are creeping, but the creep is very appropriate, as it is not quite as exxtreme as it seems to be. The excilatin is less severe than it has been in many years, and (imho) game balance is quite a bit better than it has been in the more distant past (call it pre 4th).

From a fluff perspecitve, i agree with some of the prior posters, changes had to occur, otherwise, why write a new codex? did that change alienate a portion of the players that likd the faceless horde of unstoppable evil? Of course! but tat was as mucha business decision on GW's part as anything else. Invariably, the new content attracted more players to the necrons tan were lost. So a win for gw. How man of those players are meerly bandwagoneers playing the newest flaor of the month? that will not be seen until a new flavor comes out. In the mean time, i look forward to the new "taret rich environment" to give me a chance to find more weaknesses lol!
fulange
fulange

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down