The Ancient Game of Go

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Ancient Game of Go

Post  msgreg on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm interested in running a meeting teaching and playing the the game of go on a regular basis (monthly or so, most likely on Saturday 1pm-3pm). I normally run the Central Mississippi Go Club (cmgo.org) and have all the equipment and can teach beginners. I found that the game store near Keesler in Biloxi is willing to host.

Please post your response here and with enough interest (5-6 people is enough), I'll arrange the time/place and bring the equipment! I have enough equipment for 40 people.

See more information at Central Mississippi Go Club (cmgo.org)

Anyone interested?

msgreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ancient Game of Go

Post  Orikl on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:59 pm

woah i played that the other day. enless it is something else that is the game that is like othello on steroids?
Orikl

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mattiespandaranch

Back to top Go down

Rules

Post  msgreg on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Kind of yes. Here are the rules, in brief. It is a fascinating game.

Win
The winner is the player who controls more territory on the board at the end of the game.

Play
Go is played on intersecting grid lines. Two players--first with black stones, the stronger with white--play alternately one stone at a time each on an empty intersection.
Common sizes are 9x9 (beginner/short), 13x13 (intermediate/medium), 19x19 (advanced/long).

Connect
Stones of the same color that touch each other along a grid line (not diagonal) form a chain.

Stones do not move
Once placed, a stone does not move, but it can be captured and removed.

Capture
As long as a stone or a chain is connected along a grid line to at least one empty intersection (called a liberty), it remains on the board. Thus, if a stone or chain becomes completely surrounded by stones of the other color (i.e. "has no liberties"), it is captured and removed from the board. You can place any stone that itself or as part of a chain has or creates (through capture) at least one liberty.

End
When white passes after black, the game ends.

Here is a picture of the beginning of a game:
Spoiler:

msgreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Orikl on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 pm

yep thats the game. it didn't interest me that much but i hope it all works out for you Smile
Orikl

Back to top Go down

Post  msgreg on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Oriki,

It takes about 5 minutes to learn the rules and about 3-5 short games to begin to sense the subtlety. Go is an abstract strategy game with a lot of depth. If you got to the point where you could tell that and still weren't interested, then yeah, maybe it's not for you. If you didn't play long enough to notice those things, I suggest you give it another try!

For me, I see a lot of parallels in life and relationships--and i recognize that it's weird to say that about an abstract strategy game. I really enjoy that aspect of the game as well.

msgreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Orikl on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:51 pm

oh i played for a good bit im jut more likely to play that on my phone when im at work then anything lol Smile ohh and forgot welcome you to smg
Orikl

Back to top Go down

Post  Despoiler on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:21 am

Coolness.. I didn't know MS had any kinda thing like that. That's awesome. I play it on my phone all the time (mostly against a bot). And this may kinda demean the game but what about chess on crack? Anyways I'd like to look into it if I get the time
Despoiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  msgreg on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:12 am

like chess on crack
In a way, I guess you could say that. For some people, it's a life long pursuit. And in Korea, Japan, and China there are professionals that make a living at the game. The United States organization (American Go Association — usgo.org) just started a professional certification program. It is that fascinating of a game. It is said that In those countries, go is as known as chess is in America. It is the oldest game in the world still played in its original form. Legend has it that it was invented (some say discovered) 4300 years ago. The first archaeological evidence of it from a manuscript is 2300 years ago referencing a game from 500-600 B.C.

I highly recommend igowin tutor for your phone. It's a free 9x9 version of the game, includes instructions and a tutorial, and changes difficulty automatically as you get better.

Also, if you like Anime or Manga, Hikaru No Go is available as both. It's the story of an ancient go master becoming visible to a grade schooler. Very cute. Anime is on Netflix (I'm on episode 8 myself), and Manga volumes 2 and 7 are at Jak's (as of last weekend). I just asked them to order volume 1 to put on the shelf, so we'll see if that happens.

Thanks for the welcome! And I apologize that I'm too new to post links, otherwise, I'd supply them :-(

msgreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top