Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there???

+3
RanSco
Necron
Gino.Agnelly
7 posters

Go down

Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there??? Empty Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there???

Post  Gino.Agnelly Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 am

Hello,
I am involved in a very active tournament circuit for the the Slitherine game Feild of Glory.
If you are unfamiliar with it. FOG is a table top miniature game played (usually) with 15mm figures.
Our tourney circuit (Gulf Coast Circuit) GCC playes somewhere just about every month from Birmingham to Austin Tx. uses the Anciants time period (Pre 1500AD).

We have an event coming up in March St. Patrick's Day weekend and welcome anyone interested to come by an see what it is all about.
If you are interested in playing please contact me and I am sure some practice (Introductory) games could be arranged between now and then and a loaner army arranged.

Also, if you have played but don't care for the whole tournament scene give us a chance and just come play a couple of games with us and see what you think. The vast majority of players are not the uber competetive tournament sharks that you might expect.

We will be playing at the Cedar Grove Community Center just off of Lemoyne Blvd in St. martin MS

Gino
SMAC (South Mississippi Armies of Conquest)

Gino.Agnelly

Back to top Go down

Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there??? Empty Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there???

Post  Necron Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Count me IN .............Smile How BOUT SOME MORE
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there??? Empty Re: Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there???

Post  RanSco Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Gino.
I need to start playing, or at least watching, some FoG also. Hell, I may even feel like attending the Bayou Wars convention in June now that I'm getting in the mood to do some gaming again.
Scott

RanSco

Back to top Go down

Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there??? Empty Re: Any Feild of Glory players or interests out there???

Post  Dr. Hans Zarkov Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 am

Got my rulebook and army book ordered.
Dr. Hans Zarkov
Dr. Hans Zarkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi76 Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Sounds interesting. How large are these field of glory armies figure wise?

Kind of always wanted a roman army:)

Aaron

Jedi76

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Hans Zarkov Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 am

15 mm. It would be cool if a few of us started together, that way we can learn at the same time and have matches with palyers of the same exp level. I got the rule book Friday and my army book should come in tomorrow. An army only costs around 90-120 bucks. The rule book is around 25.
Dr. Hans Zarkov
Dr. Hans Zarkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 am

Yeah I googled it a bit... It's a bit different than what I'm used to. Was trying to find a site I can get stuff resonable.. Just scoping it out. Kinda like it, but I've put too much time into 40k and Warmachine already to jump to another system no offense to anyone. Plus It would confuse the stuffin out of me.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  RanSco Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Most of the games seem to use about 800 points of troops. If I remember correctly, the starter lists in the army books identify around 600 points of troops and the miniatures distributors often make their starter armies from these lists. Almost all FoG players are using 15mm as the model size. A decent distributor for miniatures is at this website: http://oldglory15s.com/catalog/
I have ordered from them several times and they've been fast to ship the order and have had good customer service.
You can probably make an 800 point army with some options for around $80-$130.
One of the best sources for bases for the models is Litko: http://www.litko.net/categories/Miniature-Bases-%26-Bottoms/

I haven't played in a while but if some of you guys would like to take a look at the game and learn the rules, we could probably twist Gino A.'s arm and get him to demo the game. Wink

RanSco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi76 Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:57 pm

What about 1/72 scale? Would these look out of place? I noticed a bunch of boxes of them at the hobbytown USA here in mobile and they are pretty cheap! I think they look kind of big for 15mm but wonder if many gamers use them.

Aaron

Jedi76

Back to top Go down

Post  RanSco Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 pm

If my memory is correct, 1/72 is the equivalent of 25/28mm (40k/fantasy sizes) and there's a different basing standard for that.

RanSco

Back to top Go down

Post  Gino.Agnelly Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 pm

The vast majority of armies played are the 15mm range but the base size is far more important than the figure.

The Heavy foot is based on 15 x 40mm
Med foot is on 20 x 40mm
Cav, Light Horse and Knights are on 30 x 40
Elephants and Artilery are on 40 x 40
Battle Wagons are on 80 x 40

The only other real issue is differntiating the Cav from LH normally done by plaing 2 LH pper Stand and 3 cav.

The game is fairly straight forward and real effort has gone into taking out funky geometrical ploys like some ancient games of the past.

We will be running a 4 round tourney at the Cedar Grove Community Center in St. Martin St. Patrick's Day weekend.

We will have open gaming and demos on Friday evening 6pm -till
three rounds of 800 pt armies on saturday (3.5 hours per game + random time) and 1 game on sunday

If we were to have 4 or 6 players with less than 3 tournaments under thier belt we could perhaps do a "Beginner's Bracket" of some sort to get some new players interested.

Don't fear just jumping off the board the guys are pretty cool will be more than happy to show you the ropes. They will likely beat you the first few games anyway. Wink

Let me know if you are interested in particiapting in any of this and we can talk more.
I am at Gino.Agnelly at Gmail. com
'
Gino
SMAC

Gino.Agnelly

Back to top Go down

Post  justinrmomo Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Im moving to the Biloxi area in may and would love to get into tabletop gaming. Right now I paint miniatures for a hobby. I currently paint 1/72 & 28mm. I've ordered the Fog Rulebook to familiarize myself with the basics but will have zero experience playing. But if we could get a group together I would definitely be interested.

justinrmomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Necron Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:38 am

Justin..........

Will be great if you can hook up with our group. FOG to 40K ..... lots of fun ..... Welcome to the Biloxi area. Send us a private message if you think there is something we can do to make you move better. Good Luck see you in May .......
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Post  Necron Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Geno ..... Ranso ......... and Doc ...........

SMAC is hosting an Average Joe tourney on Aug 25 ..............

The Southern Mississippi Armies of Conquest (SMAC) in association with the Gulf Coast Gamers Club are eager to announce the 3rd Annual “Average Joe” Field of Glory Tournament to be held on August 25, 2012.
This will be a 3 round, 1 list tournament. Each round will be 3.5 hours with 3d6 minutes of random time.
Tournament Rules
1. Lists may not have more than 800 points.
2. Rule book and current FAQ will be used. Judge’s rulings are final.
3. Any army book in print is available.
4. Only the “Average Joes” may participate, i.e. No Superior, Elite or Poor troops will be al-lowed.
5. Then highest ranking general can only be an FC, so no ICs allowed.
6. Lists are capped at 18 BGs (Ricky says make bigger BGs).
7. Ricky Jones will referee. Lists are due to fatherofzach@yahoo.com no later than August 18. Late lists give opponent +1 PBI bonus.
8. When time is called, players will finish the phase.
9. Have Fun.
Registration starts at 9:00 AM.

Necron

Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down