Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vanguard Veterans

4 posters

Go down

Vanguard Veterans Empty Vanguard Veterans

Post  kelmar40k Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Had a guy at the last tourney bring the finecast models of these guys. He wasn't using them but rather proxying for a Devastator squad of 4 Missile Launcher in a Blood Angels jumper list.

I remember back in the day when I first picked up Codex: Space Marines that I went through Vanguard and COULD NOT make them work for anything I couldn't get cheaper and better elsewhere in the codex (Read: Sternguard.)

I have severe attachment to Sternguard since I learned playing 40k against Lash of Submission Chaos list and Drop Pod Sternguard will drop a Daemon Prince in one turnd of shooting with their poison rounds. If they don't drop him, he usually has one wound left.

So, back to the story, I remember somone saying Vanguard were awesome. Thinking, HEY, I have more experience maybe I can make them work now. I start running through Vanguard setups and STILL think they are over costed for what they bring to the table.

Here are the configurations I came up with. If someone sees something I don't, PLEASE list it.

This first is listed as some mix of abilities

Vanguard Veterans (5)
Sgt w PowerFist
Lightning Claws (3)
Storm Shield
Jump Packs

Trumped by Sternguard with Drop Pod minus the KP factor

Sternguard (5)
Combi Meltas (5)
Drop Pod

The next is Terminator Vanguard minus the 2+ save

Vanguard Veterans (5)
Jump Packs
Lightning Claws (5)

Vanguard Veterans (5)
Jump Packs
TH (5)
SS (5)

Either of these or cost prohibitive and talk about DIE to shooting.

Vanguard Veterans (5)
Jump Packs
Storm Shield
Power Fist
Plasma Pistol
Lightning Claw

This is wound shennangins and doesn't look anyhwere near as fun as my Nobz.

Sternguard in Drop Pod or Terminators for me. I can't seem to work these guys.
kelmar40k
kelmar40k

Back to top Go down

Vanguard Veterans Empty Re: Vanguard Veterans

Post  HereticWolf Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 am

Well after pointing it out it would seem that sanguinary guard is just about the same cost as vets ..... well there goes that idea lol
HereticWolf
HereticWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  fulange Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 am

I also, cant make them work, but that hasnt stopped me from trying. My current version is SUPER expensive, but SUPER fun, if you can get first turn lol...

Shrike
Khan (on bike)
Vanguard Vets (x10)
Sgt has Relic Blade & storm shield
all the others have Lightening claws & Storm Shield...

You use shrike to give them fleet, attach both shrike & khan, now they have infiltrate, and furious charge! 1st turn s 5 lightening claw assault!

Like 930 points but tons of fun. Not good if they steal the 'nish tho, as then your 1k points is down the tubes to a round of shooting and some bad invul saves lol. (if only i could attach a farseer lol)

And, yep, it took some checking, but it does work, you CAN attach a bike to a jetpack unit, as long as they all move together... and since moondraken gives khan fleet, this isnt a problem. Just dont try to send the bike over impassable terrain lol
fulange
fulange

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:18 pm

@Kelmar: The vanguard vets aren't that great for vanilla marines, but say Hereticwolf where to field them with jumppacks.... Since he is a blood angel with DoA then they won't scatter as far and then he was a precision instrument of destruction that can drop in an surprise assault, but it will cost him depending on how they are geared....

@Fulange: I think I told you about Khan when me and you talked that one time at jaks. I think you where getting mikes jacket. Glad to see that I helped you out on bouncing ideas for lists around. I myself wouldn't use shrike, but Khan on the otherhand is something I'd field. He reminds me of Ragnar blackmane for wolves without the extra attacks.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum