Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Necron] 2000 pts

3 posters

Go down

[Necron] 2000 pts Empty [Necron] 2000 pts

Post  don Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Probably the only list I could even talk about on here thanks to the codex not changing in like 10 years Smile

Soon, I know, but until then.

Grots Life, I think you were the guy playing Necron on Sunday. Here is the list that I still magically have saved on my PC that I had planned to build:

2000 Pts - Necrons Roster
HQ: Lord (1#, 210 pts)
1 Lord, 210 pts = (base cost 100 + WarScythe 10 + Destroyer Body 30 + Nightmare Shroud 30 + Resurrection Orb 40)

Elite: Immortals (10#, 280 pts)
10 Immortals, 280 pts = 10 * 28

Troops: Warriors (52#, 936 pts)
17 Warriors, 306 pts = 17 * 18
16 Warriors, 288 pts = 16 * 18
19 Warriors, 342 pts = 19 * 18

Heavy Support: Monolith (2#, 470 pts)
1 Monolith, 235 pts
1 Monolith, 235 pts

Fast Attack: Scarab Swarms (6#, 96 pts)
3 Scarab Swarms, 48 pts = 3 * 16 (base cost 12 + Disruption Field 4)
3 Scarab Swarms, 48 pts = 3 * 16 (base cost 12 + Disruption Field 4)

Strategy:
Scarabs. With the changes to jetbike rules (compared to when I played), you should jet these over 20" to opponent's Devastator/Weapons platforms and/or biggest armored vehicles. If all goes well, they'll suck up many shots during opponent's first shooting phase, otherwise they will have to face them entangling those units in combat for many turns, rendering them useless. The disruptor fields are so you can try to hurt vehicles on a 6 during combat. Important if facing a heavy-armored army. May be better to sneak these guys 20" behind obstacles and strategically assault their armor that doesn't move over 6".

Monoliths. These guys are the powerhouses. Just slow roll them forward and use them as a giant shield. Almost no weapons in the game will reduce or add extra dice against their 14 armor, so they'll take shots all game. And, the most important weapon, the Lash, can't be prevented from working... so it's important to use drudge them forward all game. Put your troops behind them sorta spread, with the destroyer Lord in the mix of them, to provide Resurrection Orb protection if needed early on. When the time comes, move your Monolith into the center of the board, probably clogging the opponent's path (important below) and use the "whip" to teleport a unit out of the doorway so you can rapid fire them into an enemy vehicle/unit nearby. Do this for the other one too. During subsequent turns, if your opponent is in close combat with you, you can teleport that unit *out* of close combat and through the doorway, then rapid fire on that squad. Also, don't forget this can be important anyways if you fail too many WBB rolls. The Monolith can be used to let you try again on Models, so it's kinda the same thing: teleport a half-dead unit that failed their WBB rolls, getting a second roll and then rapid fire.

One technique that works pretty good is to use a Monolith to clog a hole preventing opponent from passing by two peices of terrain, then turing it around to pull yours guys back through backwards, and running if you need to.

don

Back to top Go down

[Necron] 2000 pts Empty Re: [Necron] 2000 pts

Post  grots life Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Yep. That was me. Today was my first attempt running a Necron army. Today's lesson was that scarabs and wraiths move like jet bikes, not slow trudging troopers, deep striking units = bad (for me), spend a few minutes more looking for the destroyers instead of just saying "the heck with it" and putting tomb spiders on the list and max out the units of warriors. I had fun, and look forward to playing them again. Each game, I learn something new. Next time out, I'll try a few other units and see how they get on. Eventually, I'll figure out what works best for my style of play.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 pm

I worked up a new Necron list.

HQ
Lord - War Scythe, Chronometron, Destroyer Body, Veil of Darkness (210 pts.)
Lord - Staff of Light, Chronometron, Destroyer Body, Veil of Darrkess (200 pts.)

Elite
5 Immortal - Gauss Blaster, Disruption Field (150 pts.)

Troops
20 Warriors (360 pts.)
20 Warriors (360 pts.)

Heavy Support
Monolith (235 pts.)
Monolith (235 pts.)
3 Heavy Destroyers (195 pts.)

Fast Attack
3 Scarab Swarms - Disruption Field (48 pts.)

Thoughts for this build are to use the Monoliths, Heavy Destroyers, Immortals and Scarab Swarms to assault vehicles and use the Veil of Darkness Lords to move the troopers into rapid fire range to mow down troops and the Monoliths to move them out. Hopefully, a bunch of warriors teleporting around the board during the battle will cause some headaches for enemy deployment and tactics. I would consider dropping about 2 warriors off each unit to get more scarab swarms to tie up any heavy weapon units that would pose a threat to my Monoliths.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  ChoasRobot Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Veil of Darkness ar 0-1 for a necron army outside of APOC

ChoasRobot

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 am

Curses! Army builder didn't catch that one.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 am

I ran the above list today, but swapped out the extra Veil of Darkness for a Resurrection Orb. Things started out well, but I was up against Tyranids and Necron's just don't have enough template weapons to be effective against them. Next battle, I will run three unit's of 12 warriors instead of two larger ones. I'm on the fence about the immortals too. Maybe against marines or chaos they'll be more useful.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:13 pm

I ran the Necron's again today in a three way battle against Blood Angels and Chaos Demons. I ended up phasing out due to casualties, but this time, I was able to dish out a fair amount of damage myself before things went bad. Little by little, I'm chipping away at the stone and learning how to use this army.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down