Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eldar Heavies

5 posters

Go down

Eldar Heavies Empty Eldar Heavies

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm

I'm considering picking up a few war walkers and I already have a wraithlord. Any experienced eldar players have opinons which ones better serve competitive gameplay? Are fortuned scatter laser warwalkers used to shoot down flyers by anyone? Are there any eldar units that stand out as great all around?
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Eldar Heavies Empty Re: Eldar Heavies

Post  Man-of-War Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:22 am

AllmightyDM wrote:I'm considering picking up a few war walkers and I already have a wraithlord. Any experienced eldar players have opinons which ones better serve competitive gameplay? Are fortuned scatter laser warwalkers used to shoot down flyers by anyone? Are there any eldar units that stand out as great all around?

Wraithlord is their best walker. Just have to figure out what load out you like on it. The squadron of walkers they have isn't all that great. Prism tanks from my experience is really good.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Heretic Steve Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:22 am

An outflanking squad of warwalkers will kill most units they shoot at on the turn they arrive including flyers due to 24 St6 shots at 36" range. Couple that with guide and they hit about 18 times...or a flyer 7 times.

Heretic Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks for the input, I'm making a few small purchases.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:16 am

I ended up proxying some Hive Tyrants and a Wraithlord as some war walkers last game and they did really well. I picked 2 up on ebay, will get the third some time later.

Edit: The trio of walkers ended up blowing up a chimera/killing half a veteran squad, and blowing up a orc bomber for 180 points, so not terrible.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Eldar Heavies Empty Eldar Heavies

Post  Necron Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 am

Not sure about all the Eldar Walkers but when I got home from Jaks yesterday (yes H Steve she was waiting for me ..my 2 hrs turnned into 4) .... the Misses was taking stock of her Eldar and beginning to paint them up ........ Could be a real change around the house with her getting on my Nids and Necrons with all those Grav things ......... (Now why I posted in this thread) Heavy's oh she has some cool heavy's ....... She even broke out her Eldar Tempest Grav Tank (Armorcast 1997 .... beats the heck out of a Bainblade Smile ) and her Eldar Knight Scout Titan ( Armorcast 1995).

Eldar Tempest Grav Tank
BS Armor Front Side Rear Structure Save Points
4 12 12 11 2 4+ Inv 600
Weapon Str Ap Notes
Tempest Pulsar 60” 9 1 Heavy 2, Lance, Twin-Linked
Shuriken Catapult 12” 4 5 Assault 12
Star Cannons 36” 6 2 Heavy 2, Twin-Linked

DESTROYER KNIGHT
WS BS Str Armor F S R I A Struct Save Points
3 4 10 12 12 10 3 2+3+D3 2 4+ Inv 600
Destroyer Pulsar 60” 9 1 Heavy 2, Lance
Scatter Laser 36” 6 6 Heavy 4
Power Fist Dreadnought CCW, adds +D3 attacks
Power Sword First successful hit per round is a Titan Killer (D3 structure points, mass points, or wounds)

Looks like I'm in for a difficult time hanging on to family bragging rights.
Dan SAr.
Necron
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 am

I'd be happy to run a Harlequin army, but I'm slowly building up my Eldar. Originally just allying them with Dark Eldar, but I might go ahead and get enough to run as an army.

Edit: Maybe one day I'll start shelling out the cash for titans, but for now I'll stick with proxies.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:56 pm

I dislike the Wraithlord because of the no invuln save..especially since plasma seems to be so relevant. Dual Scatter laser warwalkers never disappoint for me (especially when guided)
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  Heretic Steve Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 am

The best way to run Eldar/Dark Eldar Heavies right not is with Dark eldar with Eldar allies and start with 3 Jetfighters and ally a unit of 3 warwalkers with scatterlasers.

Heretic Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 pm

How are the razorwings working out for you as opposed ravagers? I absolutely love the models. AV10 all around and not popping transports turn one scares me though so I've never tried running three.
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 pm

I've run a mix of both and while the voidraven's strength 9 lance is very attractive for an armor buster, its not terribly consistent and for me volume of shots at less cost is how I buy. You miss out on the defense of being a flyer (who cannot hover), but you get that ultra valuable first turn shooting that you are going to need to get the infantry out of the tanks so that the rest of the army has something to do in the shooting phase. Most dark eldar players are going to be running several venoms in 6th so its really important to have something to crack armor on first turn. As far as the razorwing, I always kit mine out to be anti-infantry to deal with the large amounts of infantry I've been seeing in 6th, with the exception of IG lists. A razorwing can easily drop well over 16 wounds a turn on a blob at ap5 or better, even terminators will fail saves if they roll enough. If you kit him with disentegrators you get several valuable ap2 weapons.

Edit: I'm only running two walkers, but their Outflank ability has been invaluable at helping to take out tanks, even in squadrons. I do occasionally use them with a farseer if I'm facing a footslogging list, just to lay more wounds down. I was trying to run three as an additional anti-flyer option, but right now I just can't find the points and from what I've seen of the meta, people are allying IG vendettas (or other armor 12 flyers) which makes hitting on 6's, glancing on 6's, and then they get a jink kind of a waste of time.

With that last part in mind, I've almost decided to switch to an Icarus cannon instead of a quad gun.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Icarus lascannon (the quad gun just doesn't seem to do anything for me other than a glance or two). I use it with a unit of Fire Dragons + Exarch,Eldrad and usually Sliscus (I've been playing venom spam). The Exarch adds ignore cover,reroll wounds,and tank hunters. Eldrad for fortune and guide and Sliscus gives the unit night vision and a 2++ rerollable save. I usually run this behind an aegis defense line but I'm starting to think the bastion may be the better option because of the amount of fire this unit usually receives. Which I'm totally fine with because I don't want anything firing at my ravagers and venoms anyways ~

shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:48 pm

I tried the fire dragon exarch tank hunter crack shot guy, and his squad ended up looking like a big waste of points for the value recieved. The ignore cover part means your opponent won't be jinking and doing snap fire. Now I just throw a three man wrack squad on the quad and leave another squad close enough to jump on it if they get shot off, but very few people want to waste a round of shooting at three guys with 4+ cover and feel no pain when there are other more dangerous targets.

If I was running the Icarus I might use the exarch, for his increased bs and the chart reroll. I'd say no to the building because while they are impressive on paper they have terrible weaknesses especially if you put people inside them. I guess it just depends on what you need.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  shootiest Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Yeah...I found out the weakness to the building the hard way and the guns die too Sad .. I don't know, I've switched my build a lot in the past weeks. I'm still not sold on flyers. Especially ones that can't hover. I play Dark Eldar, every game I've fought in that had 2-3 flyers, I always seem to out maneuver they're line of sight,forcing them to hover and dying the subsequent turn. I love the speed Dark Eldar have!
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 am

At least for me, in sixth Dark Eldar armies have to run venom spam. I usually have at least 1 flyer in my list, but I hate having to include them to counteract others. It seems like I'm giving up to much of my tank killing potential on first turn.
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down