Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Standard and EDH / Commander game play.

2 posters

Go down

Standard and EDH / Commander game play. Empty Standard and EDH / Commander game play.

Post  jkpz28 Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:59 am

Standard
The Standard format is continually one of the most popular formats in the constructed deck tournament scene. It is the format most commonly found at Friday Night Magic tournaments, played weekly at many hobby shops. Standard used to be referred to alternatively as "Type 2". While the name "Type 2" has been dropped officially, it is still commonplace that the standard format be referred to this way. This format consists of the most recent "Core Set" release and the two most recent "Block" releases, with one exception. "Rotation" occurs every fall when the first set of the new "Block" releases and becomes Standard Legal. From the time the new "Core Set" is released in early summer, until rotation occurs, 2 core sets are legal. The current Standard set includes Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and the Magic 2013 core set.

Commander / EDH
Commander is a series of five 100-card, three color Magic: the Gathering decks, meant as a supplement to the variant format initially known as "Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH)". Each deck is based around a legendary creature, called a "Commander" or "General", which begins the game in the "Command Zone". Each player's deck is based and built around their Commander's colors. In addition to the same losing conditions that exist in a normal game of Magic, a player may lose if he or she is dealt 21 total points of combat damage from a single Commander throughout the game. Commander also has its own "banned list" of cards, separate from any other format. No card other than basic lands appear more than once in each deck, and each deck contains three foil over sized legendary creature cards. This set is notable in that it is the first set printed outside of the normal booster pack expansions to have functionally new cards. There are 51 new cards, made specifically for multi-player games, featured in Commander.

jkpz28
jkpz28
Admin

Back to top Go down

Standard and EDH / Commander game play. Empty Re: Standard and EDH / Commander game play.

Post  Man-of-War Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah I used to play Magic religiously back before I started mini wargaming. Played type 2 at jaks for about 6 years. I liked the vintage games better where a veteran player can pull out some combo that the new people from type 2 generation will go...... "You can do that?"

Since getting into mini war gaming though I've gotten rid of all my Magic collection to a friend of mine that still plays here in stone county.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Standard and EDH / Commander game play. Empty Re: Standard and EDH / Commander game play.

Post  jkpz28 Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 am

Our little group that plays here and there plays the same way. I just learned about Commander this past weekend.
jkpz28
jkpz28
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down