Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First FOG Post an Introduction

3 posters

Go down

First FOG Post     an Introduction Empty First FOG Post an Introduction

Post  Necron Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Guys and Gals ……..

With a chance that Justin, Josh, and I will be demonstrating Field of Glory at our clubs next Games Day, I thought I would take a minute and tell ya’ll a little about the game.

Field of Glory (FOG) is a table top miniature war game ( Rule set and Army books ..( GWBRB and Codex volumes) that covers our ancient world from 3000 BC to 1500 AD. The game is played with either 15mm (small) or 25mm (40K size) miniatures. Most folks around here play with 15mm figures. The figures in an army can represent thousands of warriors, so this is fighting on a grand scale. In the game movement and ground scale is based on the effective range of the bow. The most powerful bow included in the game is the Welsh Long Bow which had an effective range of 200 yards. In the game one (1) movement unit is one (1) inch and the normal bow range is 4 movement units.. That makes for one movement unit equal 50 yards. A bow shoots 200 yards at normal range and 300 yards ( 6 movement units) at long range. You have a variety of units, of course ranging from Light to heavy foot, and light horse to heavily armored Knights. In a turn light foot can move 5MU or about 250 yards and Heavy Foot can move 3MU or about 150 yards. To see the real scale of the game you have to look at the size of the battlefield. The game is played, like 40K on a 4ft x 6ft board. In ground scale that is 48 x 72 MUs. That is 2400 yards x 3600 yards or better expressed for the full impact ….. That is 1,4 miles by 2.0 miles.

First FOG Post     an Introduction IMG_1864_zps8fb3254c

This is a pic of one of my armies and about a sixth of the game board.

FOG is great game and one of its biggest attractions for me is that it is not a linear game like 40K, Fantasy and most 25mm Sci Fi tabletop games. FOG is maneuver for advantage, fight, and maneuver again …….

The game has all the standard components, standard rule set, FAQs for situational questions that develop and not directly addressed by the rules, multiple unit types, multiple weapons configurations, causality dice rolls and cohesion tests ( moral checks, and standard victory conditions….

Field of Glory is a registered trade mark of Slitherine. The rules and army list books are published by Slitherine Software UK Ltd and Osprey Publishing Ltd.

Official web site: http://www.fieldofglory.com

The company provides extensive game support by maintaining both international and national player rankings. These can be found at:
http://www.slithdata.net/files/fog/rankings.html

If you pick up the game, just want you to know you are in the hot bed of FOG. We have more regional tourneys than other regional of the US. Between Hattiesburg, Ocean Springs and New Orleans we have 4 major tourneys each year. Last year we actually had 5. Just to mention some players in the area, of the 306 nationally ranked players in the US local boys are No3, No6, and No24, …… now Justin is ranked 73rd and I’m a distant 122 …….. But still in the top half.

The game also supports National Championships ……….. both teams and single opens …..
The 2013 FOG AM US Open will be held Friday, May 3, through Sunday, May 5, at Game Kastle in Santa Clara, CA
Details:
> 1) Version 2.0 of the rules and the 30 – 0 scoring system will be used for this tournament.
> 2) There will be space for 28 players. Each round is 3.5 hours with 3 D6 random time.
> 3) Entry fee is $35.00, paid at registration. Major credit cards are accepted.
> 4) One 900 point army from any of the FOG AM Companion books with V2 amendments.

There is even a World Team Championship, in Portugal, if you get that good and that rich to pay for the travel…
The Dates as September 7/8
Field of Glory Version 2 Ancients.
4 member teams. 1 team per nation.
Selection of team is decided by you're own nation.
Note the slightly new location the Cordoaria Nacional.

http://www.ajsportugal.org/Cordoaria.html

So all in all, it is a really exciting game that requires deep thought, planning and skill ……( Well maybe not me ) and it is a blast to play …… Hope you will enjoy it enough to give it a try ……

Dan Sr.
Master of the armies of “The Spring and Summer.”
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

First FOG Post     an Introduction Empty Re: First FOG Post an Introduction

Post  Man-of-War Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Most of the time I've seen the books being sold, but not actual models to represent them. Just wondering where you get the models from.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Necron Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Several places on the Web have miniatures. A Google search for FOG miniatures will turn up a lot of providers. Both of My armies came from a single provider called 19th Century minis (Oldglory.com). I was very pleased with the cost as well as the quality of the mini's
N
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Post  justinrmomo Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 am

Great post Dan. I'd have to also recommend Old Glory minis if you're interested in getting started. They are inexpensive and paint up really well. They have starter army boxes available from most of the army books. Stop on by at game day if you want to take a look.

Their website is www.oldglory15s.com

justinrmomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down