Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnetic bases

2 posters

Go down

Magnetic bases Empty Magnetic bases

Post  grots life Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:15 pm

What are good magnets for bases? The ones I tried overpower the glue when I take the figure off the movement tray.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Magnetic bases Empty Re: Magnetic bases

Post  grots life Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Answered my own question. The magnetic tape at Wal Mart works great. You can trim it to size with scissors and just a dab of glue will hold it in place. Keeps the mini's on the movement trays and it's not so powerful a magnet that they come off easily. 10 feet of magnetic tape is only $4 too. Also, it's a good idea to cut the magnets into 18" strips and stick them to the fridge for a while to get the curl out of them since they come in a roll.

Last edited by grots life on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Guess i will have a use for that magnetic tape after all Smile
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:46 pm

It's great for magnitizing fantasy bases. Buy some cheap scissors to cut it with. Don't kill a good pair on it. The adhesive is too weak by itself but a dab of glue keeps the magnet in place. I can hold my metal tray upside-down and my skeletons stay put. I think I'll use the stronger ones for the metal figures and 40mm based stuff. If we play again this week, my army will be magnitized.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Okay, got all my skeletons magnetized now. First thing I did was unroll the magnetic tape and stick it to the fridge to take the curl out of it.

Magnetic bases IMG_1321

Then I cut the tape into little 20mm by 20mm squares and glued them under the base. I used a dab of multi-purpose cement I bought at Wal-mart for about a dollar.

Magnetic bases IMG_1322

I then took some steel plates I bought at Ace Hardware, cut some self adhesive felt that I also picked up in the Wal-mart craft section and made metal movement trays that now have felt glued to the bottoms.

Magnetic bases IMG_1325
Metal plate (cost about a dollar)

Magnetic bases IMG_1326
Plate with felt attached (package of felt cost about $4 and 5 come to a package.)

Then it was just a matter of standing the troops on the plate. They all stay put and I can even hold them upside-down and they won't fall off.

Magnetic bases IMG_1323

Magnetic bases IMG_1324

Magnetic bases IMG_1327
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down