Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Army or more Ultramarines?

+3
grots life
EmeraldWolf
kelmar40k
7 posters

Go down

3rd Army or more Ultramarines? Empty 3rd Army or more Ultramarines?

Post  kelmar40k Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm

This is for those 40k veterans that have been playing for years. Here’s the question…

I have maybe 3k worth of Ultramarines at the moment and will have a 2k army of Orks very soon. I get a bonus which I am free to use completely on plastic crack. In your experience or opinion, would you go with buying “options” for your main army or starting up like 1k points of a 3rd army?

I was thinking of getting as options:

2nd Landraider (Redeemer)
Command Squad
Assault Squad ( I know they aren’t they best but look pretty cool )
Vindicator
Venerable or Ironclad Dreadnought

Or

Tyranid Battleforce with some Trygons?

OR

Warhammer Fantasy Isle of Blood? (Not sure yet if I want to get involved with the fantasy side. Like the models but dunno if I have time for another tourney set.)
kelmar40k
kelmar40k

Back to top Go down

3rd Army or more Ultramarines? Empty Re: 3rd Army or more Ultramarines?

Post  EmeraldWolf Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Me personally, i would do more ultramarines maybe a thunderhawk Razz i dont know how big ur bonus is but yeah... or jump into fantasy and do high elves or something Smile
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  grots life Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:54 pm

I like to have all troop types represented in my armies. You could go the route I took and build an entire chapter. And of course, with orks, it's all about numbers.
grots life
grots life

Back to top Go down

Post  Orikl Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:58 pm

im going to be selling about 4k worth of tyranids soon a good bit of them painted to a pretty good standard. and an awesome carnifex or two. ill be letting them go for a very good deal. got a baby on the way and no longer have the extra cash to support two armys and there is no way i am going to get rid of the orks. they're to much fun Smile
Orikl
Orikl

https://www.facebook.com/mattiespandaranch

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:10 am

I was personally one of the guys that jumped around alot to try to figure out what I liked before settling on something... If you like horde I'd expand on orks before going tyranids... If you really like your marines expand on them a bit too... probably can juggle both..
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  HereticWolf Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:15 am

I was told when I wanted to start buying a new army maybe to add to my core army because having options of what to play can make an army feel brand new and in that respect they wre right. So I say fill out what you don't have and then move fwd onto something new IMO
HereticWolf
HereticWolf

Back to top Go down

3rd Army or more Ultramarines? Empty 3rd Army or more Ultramarines?

Post  Necron Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:13 am

From one of the oldest players ......... add the cool stuff ... play things that no one else has, celebrate that you were around to see the first founding ..... That Tech marine with the blow tourch you have ( I know you have one) is something unique........ play it ..... call the tourch a thunder hammer ( the tech marine is so old he comes from a time with thunder hammers looked like blow tourches) Very Happy Build that special assault team ... mine has ork heads strapped on their belts...... great stuff ......... I play Necrons and they are old too but my Ultra Marines go back to a SM named Roco painted on the base when Rouge Trader was a role playing game ......... Smile My third company captain is in PA(Mark 1) where the plates are buckled on over chain mail with leather straps he is armed with a Mark1 bolter , long barrell and 200 round clip ...... Believe me ....if you have it .....play it and smile when you do .....................
Necron
Dan
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

Post  kelmar40k Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm going to fill out the Orks and then start collecting more Ultramarines stuff.

Might build the entire 2nd company.

Besides in a year or 2 it will be humorous for the entire 2nd company to show up at an apocalypse game since the Ultramarines are never around when you need them Very Happy
kelmar40k
kelmar40k

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Cant wait to see it! Smile
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down