Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dorn, Dorn, Dorn

4 posters

Go down

Dorn, Dorn, Dorn Empty Dorn, Dorn, Dorn

Post  CKO Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 pm

If you didnt know I am big fan of Rogal Dorn, his armour was burnish gold so my marines are gold, my dice are even burnish gold and say Dorn. Enough of that here is the story, I am playing Glenn he has first turn I cry out "Praise Dorn!" and roll to seize and I seize Very Happy but he points out that I am using Space Wolves rules Crying or Very sad . This bothers me and thanks to Glenn I realized why I havent been happy with my marines like I should be. You know how when you read the marine novels you can easily tell that each marine has this sense of pride in their chapter and believes that they are the best and that their primarch was the greatest. Well thats the feeling I have for Rogal Dorn and the VII Legion, but I havent been playing with Wolves because they are supposely better. BAM, you see the contradiction you cant praise Dorn and play with another codex rules that is hypocrisy at its peak! For this hobby I enjoy 2 things playing the game mostly in competitive settings and writting fluff, I thought they were seperate but apparently they in some weird way effect each other. I now know how some players will add certain units in there army just because they enjoyed painting it, the same way I will be playing with certain rules just because I think Rogal Dorn is the shitzness.

With that being said I am only going to use rules of Rogal Dorn Descendants. For those of you who dont know that would be the Black Templar codex and the basic Space Marine Codex. No Vulkan or Shrike only special characters I will use will be Lysander and/or Pedro.

Now that my marines will no longer suffer from a identity crisis on the table top, I still need some help off of it. I want to read a novel or listen to an audio book with Dorn in it. I am about to start reading Rynn's World and Helsreach both are descandants of Dorn and I can learn how his descendants behave and think. After reading I will be rewritting my fluff because at the moment I feel that they are to much like Black Templar.

So if you guys have any fluff ideas, books I should read, audio books I should listen to, or any advice at all that would be great.

Thanks!

CKO
CKO

Back to top Go down

Dorn, Dorn, Dorn Empty Re: Dorn, Dorn, Dorn

Post  Man-of-War Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 pm

well as far as loyalists go... I can't make my mind up between Russ, Dorn, and the Lion.

For Dorn I suggest rynn's world, helsreach, sons of Dorn novels. All except the last is excellent reads. Especially helsreach. That author is my favorite out of the 40k fluff writers. Also there is an audio book out on dorn.... Called lightning tower and something else.... can't really remember, but it's strictly an audio.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Despoiler Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 am

The dark king is the other half of that. Not strictly an audio book though. the paperback edition was limited print.
Despoiler
Despoiler

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:39 am

I quit reading the crimson fist fluff when I found out that they hit their own base with a missile aimed at the enemy. I could understand if it was chaos,or something, but the books just play it out as Pedro is walking along and sees the missile coming back, then boom, over half the chapter gone. To me it seems like gw said we need a struggling chapter, then slapped together dicey fluff to fix it, which sucks because I really was into painting mine up before I read that novel.
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 pm

@stuart: Even though that happened for the crimson fists the rest of the book is still pretty awesome.

@Chad: Also read the horus heresy Flight of the Eisenstein. Rogal Dorn himself is in that book. Plus he makes appearances through some of the other heresy books.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down