Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for the 40k players out there...

+5
thecapn226
mouser04
Uktena
Hinkel
Man-of-War
9 posters

Go down

Question for the 40k players out there... Empty Question for the 40k players out there...

Post  Man-of-War Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 am

I kinda envy you players out there that stick to one or two armies. Ever since I've been in this game I can't seem to do just that. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because I'm a bit OCD about my hobbies. I don't really know, but it's been a bumpy ride for me ever since getting into this hobby. I've played and owned: Chaos marines, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Tyranids, Regular Space Marines, Dark Eldar, and Now Necrons. After I gotten into the Necrons and keeping Dark Eldar I sold the rest of it over the time of me playing.

So heres my question... How do you stay devoted to your couple of armies?
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Question for the 40k players out there... Empty Re: Question for the 40k players out there...

Post  Man-of-War Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:03 am

I know this seems like ranting, but I don't really know what to do next at all. It seems like I daydream alot about having other races built, but when it comes down to it I don't really know what I want or my own playstyle is because I can pull off any playstyle. I've done it before. I proxied alot before buying and I'll proxy/play against a friend one time a race that is extremely shooty. Then turn around the next and do aggressive choppy army. Next after that balanced.
I've been this way as long as I remember with just about every game I've played. I can play aggressive or defensive. Like playing chess my friends tell me I'm pretty bad to go against cause my style changes from one person to the next.

I don't know what that is called, but I think that's the root of my problem.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Question for the 40k players out there... Empty Re: Question for the 40k players out there...

Post  Hinkel Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:16 am

I guess i play my 2 armies....well my main 2, imperial guard and space marines like i play Dnd...i just love to play the good guys....i mean i got tyranids....but just to learn them and use them for senarios....i love the imperiums stories, fluff, and i love painting them, i guess that is why i can just play the 2, once i get through painting,...well i get better and then want to do it again...but i also want to get every figure the army has...kinda like a collector...i mean even the forgeworld stuff...so IG and SM have alot. i like playing as much as i do painitng and showing off the army, plus it is much cheaper then my last hobby and less stress ful, really it is just relaxing after a long da at work....plus my wife paints and plays too, so it makes it even better.
Hinkel
Hinkel

Back to top Go down

Post  Uktena Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:33 am

Kunnin N Kwik wrote:So heres my question... How do you stay devoted to your couple of armies?

I think it comes down to two things, my interests and the army theme. If I am playing an army that doesn't keep my interest then I will probably get bored of it after awhile.

Two of my big interests are WWII and Norse culture. Since I modeled my Imperial Guard as a WWII army I feel connected to it through the historical knowledge of what I know about it. And ever since learning about Norse mythology in 8th grade I was hooked for life. So the Wolves are a natural choice for me, they peak one of my life interests and I feel connected to that army because of it.

As for your dilemma it could be that maybe you are just the type of person that gets bored easily and likes to try something new all the time? Nothing wrong with that!

Uktena
Uktena

http://astrachaoswolf.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Question for the 40k players out there... Empty lol

Post  mouser04 Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:24 am

take it from guy who played eldar to complex
switch to BTemplars love the army but didnt feel like i was doing anything
then D/ANGLES then the new dex came out BAM got a big handful of nerfbat
ultramarines [vanilla] and most of the chapters some i cant remember could not get a list to work

then chaos deamons lol bingo love it till grrrr grrrr [realfast talking]grrrr grey knights screw them up
then something happen it tickle my fancy to a bitter end the WAAAAAGH happen to play them till i got my my list fine tuned[horde]still playing them
space wolf love them made a list that worked well and put them back up they were too good
then DE CAME OUT like them had a good list but couldnt quite get the feel for them love them but fnp thing wasnt working out for me

then my tombs and servents c'tan came along and woke me up to terrorize yall to the end of time
RESISTENT IS FUTILE
mouser04
mouser04

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Yeah I like reading the books for the villains. Originally I read the books for the heros and most video games I have to be the good guys I just can't be evil myself. It's just how I am, but to make a hero really good. You have to have a good villain. There is a part of me that wants to do Imperium for a type of space marines, but the reason I put them down and went to xenos is because there is just so freaking many space marines to do. I mean you got blood angels, grey knights, vanilla, wolves, templars, and dark angels. It's just a hard choice for me, cause whenever I model something I want it to look the part and not just 'count as' the model. I think I'll stick with xenos a while longer. May even take a break from buying 40k this year other than necrons and try to hop back into it big next year. Haven't really made my mind up.

I like doing stuff that people don't normally do. That's why I brought up the badab war characters in this forum. To field them in a tournament, but I think sonni won't go for that. I'll ask him once I get the books.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Or maybe I haven't found my connection yet with anything so far.. -shrugs- I dunno...
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Kunnin N Kwik wrote:Or maybe I haven't found my connection yet with anything so far.. -shrugs- I dunno...

This. This is what keeps you interested in the army. For me grey knights represent a group of guys that the end justifies the means. If a million have to die to save a billion, then so be it. For me this hits really close to home for personal reasons and its one of the reasons I get so into the fluff for them. My second army is nurgle. They were once some of the best until they slowly decayed in mind, body, Nd soul. Again this has personal reasons that I feel I have experienced in my past. I'll try a new army every now and then, but honestly its about finding what really represents you. If you paint an army that you feel like you are putting a piece of yourself into it makes the army as a whole stand out more. And you can usually see the players who represent themselves with a "personal army" because they "feel" more for that army because it represents a part of them expressed through the time, dedication, and effort put into it.

So in short, when you find the army that represents you on a personal level you will be able to stick with it, even if you don't always play it.
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  HereticWolf Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 pm

This is very true ! I love my new blood angels they are fun to play and fun to paint and have all the fun stuff I like...CC abilities and some fun special characters like mephiston!
Also I too have played alot of armies and I think at the end of the day you really just need to decide what is it you like best? I love the marines back stories chaos and imperial alike. I enjoy painting marines. and I really like my stormravens lol I cant get into Necron Fluff, Eldar need a new dex something fierce, Tau just dont fit my style, Hordes are too much work all the way around, and demons would be cool but they are just a bit out of my price range.
HereticWolf
HereticWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Ok that's alot of input I have to think about. Thankyou guys for helping me with this. This is going to be a weird year for me cause I never just sat back and thought about what to do next. Its hereditary from my family I think lol. Now since I've learned the game I'll try to find connections to my armies. I think I've found a connection in the new necrons, which I have an idea on it.

Like my friends would say that in strategic, fighting, shooting, and adventure games. I am relentless, level headed about everything, gives no quarter, a living rulebook with good recollection, and honorable. Like pat said once to me that I'm so calm even if I'm losing in 40k. That I think is why I've stuck with necrons since a couple months before the release. The new fluff pretty much puts them as the things my friends describe me as mostly. I'm calm at work too. People be freakin out and I'm calm, cool, and calculating about it. Also back in college some guy would claim to be the best in a game around me that I play really well and I'd take that as a open challenge. Usually done fighting games that way and beat the person to a pulp on the video game lol.

Wouldn't happen to have ideas on marines or other armies that fit the description in bold other than necrons?

Last edited by Kunnin N Kwik on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  EmeraldWolf Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm

I stay devoted to my one army by playing it, thinking about it, and even writing about characters i make fir it,, i also occasionally find myself wanting other armies and imagine how id convert tgat model into my army such as the thunderfire cannon or the landspeeder storm Smile
EmeraldWolf
EmeraldWolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 pm

I think the reckless violence is what draws me to chaos marine bezerkers and dark eldar. Thankyou all for helping me out on this...
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  thecapn226 Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Imperial fists. They have a unique paint scheme and fit the description you say. They purposefully subject themselves to pain in order to keep level and stay calm. That would be a good starting point. Have a look around lexicanum.com. read read and read and something will eventually click.
thecapn226
thecapn226

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 pm

I've read their sons of dorn book before and loved reading about Rogal Dorn ever since he punched the Death Guard guy in the face for talking about Horus betraying them in the Horus heresy series think it was flight of the eisenstein or something like that... the guy that wrote Sons of Dorn didn't do them justice for my eyes. I've read rynn's world and helsreach and loved both... Been looking into the badab war chapters and the imperial fists has a successor that was in it
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Executioners
Been debating on them or Fists. Leaning more on Fists, but I think it would be cool to field the character from Vol 10 in a fists army. He gives stubborn as usual, but he's a chaplain with a relic blade instead of his usual badge of office. Also gives the squad he's with +2 on charge and a reroll 1s to wound bubble of 12 around him.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  The Emperor Waffle Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 am

For me, its pride, ideology, and the promise that I made. I'll never let go of the grey knights and they will be my number 1.

The Emperor Waffle

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 pm

I believe I've made my mind up. Not really going to do Imperial Fists. Going to do wolves again. I don't know why and I can't help it. I always seem to come back to them for some reason. Probably because I haven't came across a space wolves book yet that I hated. I originally quit them because they didn't have the things I wanted to field... aka thunderwolves, but now since their getting released next month plus alot of other models that they didn't have earlier last year when I quit playing them.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  The Emperor Waffle Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 pm

You saw those GW wolves and got giddy about them didn't you? lol

The Emperor Waffle

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah that warm fuzzy feeling....
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Plus the new tyranids aren't that bad looking too.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  Man-of-War Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Ok now I'm meh over the new models for wolves lol. In the distant future I'll do the Imperium.... maybe if I get tired of being a villain. I like being evil/xeno.
Man-of-War
Man-of-War

Back to top Go down

Post  AllmightyDM Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 am

I only collect Dark Eldar and that may seem pretty narrow, but from what I've seen they can do just about anything well. I've never really been interested in armies with relatively more expensive units. What really drew me to them in the first place is that I wanted to play a truly evil army that was unrepentantly bad, but they had in their own minds at least a justifyable cause. Not just evil for the sake of evil. Partially that was me wanting to stand out by playing an army that most people found morally distasteful, because its always fun to be the good guy or the anti-hero, but to actually be the bad guy is something I enjoy as a DM in dungeons and dragons and other games. Finally, they remind me of the drow, but not that fan favorite Drizzt, the bad guys. Heck what's cooler than being a drow? PIRATE NINJA DROW!!!!
AllmightyDM
AllmightyDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down