Gulf Coast Wargaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

resin casting questions

2 posters

Go down

resin casting questions Empty resin casting questions

Post  shootiest Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm

I need to make 12 blasters for my Dark Eldar army and at $9.99 a pop on eBay that just ins't going to happen. I've started researching how to do resin molds but does anyone here have any experience doing this? Are there any particular brands, any tips, anything at all I should know? Any advice would be really appreciated thanks!

I know I can convert using a shredder and blast pistol..I'd rather have all the blasters look the same though.
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

resin casting questions Empty resin casting questions

Post  Necron Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Two options I have used very successfully ............

High Cost ..... Go to Hobby lobbyand get all yo need. Store brands of resin casting is very good. buy the kit first and it will have all the instructions and enough material to make the blasters you need.... 25 ....30 .... dollars.....

Perferred Option ..... epoxy putty and green stuff....... Home depot , Lowes, walmart sell epoxy putty in a tube for 8 bucks. make a flat pan of mixed epoxy and use PAM as a relief agent. Once you have mixed the putty and formed the flat pan, just before it gets hard ( starts to get hot) press the blaster 3/4 of the way into the flat pan. then let it harden.. mix another flat pan and use the PAM again and spray the now hardened first pan and blaster. Press the second flat pan hard onto the first .... again just as it starts to harden. Let it cure an hour and then seperate the flat pans and remove the blaster...... The two haves you have, form a perfect compression mole for new blasters. More PAM for relief, pinch off a small amount of green stuff, mix completely forming a small snake. place the snake in the bottom blaster mold and replace the top and squeeze .....a nd squeeze ......( you will find that registeration keys(alignment aids) will help a lot) let the GS cure fully and then open the mold and remove the new blaster. trim the flashing and repeat...... and repeat ........you can use epoxy putty for the item but GS gives superior results.

I have used this second approach successfully to mold parts for every army I have ........ You can even create neat cool stuff never befor seen in the 40K universe. In the old days when I began this game, Space Marine Terminators could be equipt with a combiMelta and a storm shields, or combimelta and thunder hammer.... I still have both of the 10 man squads...... all custom compression molded ......

Good luck ..... the creation process is as much fun and playing the result .......

Necron
Dan Sr.
Necron
Necron

Back to top Go down

resin casting questions Empty Re: resin casting questions

Post  shootiest Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you so much!
shootiest
shootiest

Back to top Go down

resin casting questions Empty Re: resin casting questions